Re-pressurising system

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi I have an closed central heating system and I believe needs repressurising but don't know how to. Looking on the web I have found various sites that show a flexible pipe to repressurise the system but mine doesn't have one.

ch_photo2.jpg

ch_photo1.jpg

[/img][/img]

Sponsored Links
The filling pipe may be in the form of a fixed pipe with a valve that connects the incoming mains supply (higher pressure) to the central heating pipe work, so start by tracing the cold mains. Your'e looking for a branch off with a closed valve. When you open the valve VERY GENTLEY you should see the pressure increase. On the other hand it is wiser to have the fixed bit of pipe replaced with the flexible filling loop so it can removed and the pressure cannot go up through leakage across any valve. In this case you would be looking for 2 valves about 12 ins apart with screw fittings. :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

After much swearing and scratching of head I found a red stop tap under the bath :rolleyes: (it's turned fully anticlockwise (is this on or off?)) It branches off the cold mains (the mains seems to go upstairs first :?:) but cannot tell where it goes to. I'm assuming it is to do with the c/h system as it doesn't seem to effect any other systems. Can't get it to up the pressure though. Do you think I would have to do anything with the stoptap near the boiler (see pic), in conjunction with the pump maybe? Incidentally the pipe nearest the camera is the feed pipe (I think :?:).
Sorry bit of a doofus when it comes to plumbing. :oops:

Cheers

The tap under the bath is fully open if already turned fully anticlockwise. I don't think this is what your looking for. Rather than waste time looking for the existing filling point, why not make a new one? This should be near the boiler where you can see the pressure gauge. You will need to bring cold mains water to that point, if not already available, and make a branch into the return pipe.

Sponsored Links
If the picture is current (with the pressure gauge showing zero), then the valve you've found is NOT the one - fully-anticlock is wide open, which is NOT how a refilling valve on a sealed system should be left.
I would concentrate your search near to the pressure gauge and expansion vessel.

chrishutt said:
Rather than waste time looking for the existing filling point, why not make a new one? This should be near the boiler where you can see the pressure gauge. You will need to bring cold mains water to that point, if not already available, and make a branch into the return pipe.

Think your probably right there. :( Wouldn't mind but the mains runs past the boiler (on the other side of the cellar stair) so shouldn't be a problem.

Can only imagine the person who originally installed it (diy I think) must have found a short run somewhere where the mains ran right past a radiator return pipe. Which made me think of looking under the bath. But could be anywhere. F-beep-ing w-beep-ker, beep, beep beep.

Cheers for your help anyway guys. Appreciated.

BTW what is that stoptap for near the boiler (tuned to off)?

That's a by-pass valve between hot and return. It might be required to be partially open if you have TRVs on the rads (or 2 motorised valves) to ensure a minimum rate of circulation under all circumstances, to protect the boiler from overheating.

By the way, it looks as if the PRV (safety valve) doesn't have a discharge pipe attached. That could turn out to be very dangerous. Also you appear to have a cable draped over the expansion vessel connecting pipe. And those cobwebs...... ;)

chrishutt said:
By the way, it looks as if the PRV (safety valve) doesn't have a discharge pipe attached. That could turn out to be very dangerous. Also you appear to have a cable draped over the expansion vessel connecting pipe. And those cobwebs...... ;)

:LOL: I was going for the authentic goth look :oops:

Have moved offending cable - it'd popped out of a clip :rolleyes:

Did wonder about the safety valve meself. Not a prob at the mo tho :)

Think I'm going to have to bite the bullet and get a pro out to look at it. :( Looks like the local plumber'll be holidaying in Barbados this year :LOL:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back