re-render and plastering

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi some information please, I am re-furbishing a 1970ts bungalow the previous owners converted a garage into a bedroom, dob and dashed it and a made a cowboy job I could smell a leaching of the loft area smell creeping down on further inspection I noticed the join between the ceiling board and the board skim bad joints obviously coming from their, ripped out all the dry lining and I am going to render and skim the room again, two questions the walls small of mustiness still after I have given them a sealing of PVA, no dampness present I have used my meter to and it shows dry walls even went to the effort of hacking off a area of render to get a proper reading, Introduced new vent holes into the loft space to get a better air flow through it, my plan is to webber stipple the walls first get a render on it then a scratch coat and finally the plaster skim, with good seals at the roof area to stop this ever happening again, what are the chances of that musty smell working its way through to the new work would it be a good idea to hack off all the old render back to the brick before I start this work, I don’t want to go to all the expense and new work to find out later that the musty smell has seeped through, what would a professional advise

Thanks in advance

Jsm

Sponsored Links
Find out what is causing the "musty" smell and get rid of it. You cannot gaurantee new work if you dont cure old problems.... ;)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back