Re-roof disaster

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, I live in a house built in 1920s, and we've just had a re-roof done in reclaimed slate. It's been a disaster to be honest, the roofer abandoned the job without finishing it after he'd received near enough all the money. All that's now outstanding is to clad two dormer windows and we have found someone reputable to do that thankfully.

However, I'm concerned we may have leaks. I bought a damp meter, and I'm getting readings of around 19% around a velux window,. We've got a converted loft that is now a bedroom and bathroom, but in some loft storage space in the bedroom I was getting damp readings of about 29%. I removed some of the boards to see if I could see anything, and there is loads of beads of water on the membrane, and the insulation is soaking wet. I'll try to post a picture.

I'm pretty sure it's condensation...so now I'm thinking this is possibly due to a lack of airflow rather than an active leak. Or perhaps a load of water got in whilst the roof was left unfinished, combined with a lack of ventilation meaning it can't escape?

I know very little about roofing, but would the original roof that we replaced have had any sort of felt? Could this be cause by thr insulation being packed behind the loft boards being OK previously as the tiles would've allowed for ventilation but now membrane has been used it doesn't?

Attachments

• 20230109_160037.jpg
    20230109_160037.jpg
    158.8 KB · Views: 57
Sponsored Links
Was breathable membrane used!

Any air vents fitted!

It doesn't look very breathable, but is there a way I'd be able to tell by looking at it? I'd assume no air vents were fitted...

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back