Re-roofing porch

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, I'm going to attempt re-roofing our porch/canopy roof. Battening should be OK with and fixing the plain clay tiles but are there different size clay tiles needed at ridge/eaves level, or do I just just them? In the photo shown below (not my roof) the tiles at ridge level are shorter. I've also seen diagrams with the bottom tiles slightly longer.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/35428320/roof.jpg

Sponsored Links
Both the first row(eaves)and top row(ridge)are half tiles. The only difference is the eave tiles are underneath a tile and the ridge above.

The verges are tile and a half every other row.

Hopefully your roof will look better than the example you provided and done correctly keeping the right bond, do not copy that photo.

thanks Terry what do I need to ask for when ordering the tiles, i.e. x amount of plain tiles, and x amount of half tiles?

Work out how many you need(55/m2)measure the width of the roof to determine how many half tiles you'll need(x2) the tile and a half is another matter, all depends upon the width as to how many you'll need, very rarely will it work out perfectly.

Sponsored Links
thanks, and the undercloak I just rest half on the roof timber and half over the edge, held in place by the battens? Then fill the verge with 3:1 sand/cement?

thanks, and the undercloak I just rest half on the roof timber and half over the edge, held in place by the battens? Then fill the verge with 3:1 sand/cement?
The cloak overhang is typically 50mm. It can be more and it can be less.

If for example, once you have set your tiles out and it turns out that if you pinched or borrowed an extra 10mm either way with the cloak so that the tiles worked perfectly, then go for it. We always set the tiles out on a dry run, prior to fixing the cloak.

Cloak width is 150mm so this means 100mm of it will be lapping onto the end rafter etc and not half and half as you suggested.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back