Re-sanding block paved drive problem?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I can't get the sand to stay in the block paving.

I've had my block paved drive down for 6 years now and it was due a clean, i have followed paving experts guide to cleaning and used the patio cleaner attachment (rotating blade type) then let it dry for 3 days and brushed in some kiln dried silica sand with a medium hard brush and a softer one. But it just doesn't seem to stay in the paving gaps, a lot of it has came back out after some heavy rain as though it's just sat in the top part.

When the drive was initially put down they sanded it then went over again with a whacker, but I read this is not required for re-sanding. Has anyone else else encountered these problems?

Sponsored Links
You should be able to get a liquid that binds the sand in - have a look at www.pavingexpert.com I had the problem on my sloping paving some years ago. the liquid sorted it.

Last edited:
Did you jet wash all the sand out of the joints? It sounds like some of the old sand remains.

You may need a few dry days and to leave the sand on the blocks to let it settle in on its own. Or hire a small light Wacker

i used a patio attachment because everything i've read said not to use a lance as it blasts out the sand from deep down which you don't want. It said to only remove the sand from the top half of the paving. it brushes in and looks well but then some parts it comes out or part of it does. Two of us done it and one using a harder brush and one using a soft both crossing over where we had been so i can't see it being the brush type

Sponsored Links
That's your problem then. The sand that is remaining in the joint is compact and stuck together, so the new sand on top is loose and there is not enough depth for it to key in.

Get all the sand out, or leave the new sand on the surface for a long while for it to stick in the joint.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back