Re-tiling patch of bathroom wall

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Folks,

A month or so ago I posted about some damage to an exterior wall where water had been seeping from an over-the-bath shower area through some crap tiling (poor grouting, tiles laid with patchy adhesive on a mix of plaster, offcuts of timber beading and expanded foam filler etc etc - not my work!).

I've since stripped an area of around 1600mm by 400mm back down to the brickwork (depth about 30-35mm from the front of the tiles) and let it dry out. The tiling I've left in place is solid and the plaster underneath is dry and in good condition. The exposed brickwork isn't too uneven.

I am planning to patch this affected area rather than take the whole wall back as it is a big tiled wall and would mean moving bathroom furniture etc.

I've been searching the web and was thinking of using a sheet of 20mm Wedi tilebacker board cut to size and bonded to the wall with Ardu-flex 5001 (this seems to be what is recommended).

I am hoping I can then tile directly on to this and then grout and seal the job and be left with something that isn't going to cause me any more pain.

Can anyone let me know before I start if I am on the right track with this and if so are there any tips for working with wediboard that I should know before I give it a go?

Buckie

Sponsored Links
what is wediboard?
:confused:

(not the greatest builder of all times) :oops:

but i do have the same problem

Sponsored Links
it`s like when some bugger nicks the sheets of board for your :LOL: township hut....werediddeboard go.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back