Re-tiling Shower

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I had water leaking from the kitchen ceiling, from the shower in the room above. Some genius had tiled up to the shower tray upstand, and then stuck a sliver of tile on the upstand using non mold-proof sealant. Its been moldy and leaking for more than 10 years I guess.

The whole shower area will need to come out including floorboards and plasterboard. Now the thing is, the rest of the room isn't too bad. It was definitely not done by the same person, the shower has been added some time after the bathroom was built.

The tiles are ok and the grouting and cutting looks fine. I don't want to tile up to the diagonal ceiling if it can be avoided. Also the plaster board will come away if I try and remove all the existing tiles, all the walls are stud. The tiles look old though and I can't find anything similar. The size is not metric either, seems to be 6x8 inches.

Any hope that I can make a 'feature' shower area using different tiles or is it going to look stupid unless the whole room is ripped out?

Thanks.

Sponsored Links
Looks like you have a nice lip on that shower base I would tile on tile to bring the tiles right down onto the ledge no chance of leakage then.

Yes if only they'd used a full (opr even half) a tile at the bottom it would have been fine. It has to come out now though so I can repair the wall and floor so I'll probably replace the shower tray anyway.

I found the manufacturer of the tiles so I'll see if I can get more, not hopeful though.

How about a mosaic border around the shower tray in a complimenting colour?

Sponsored Links
Thanks, yes that might work. It depends how high up the wall I have to clear. It looks pretty rancid and has rotted through what appears to be 3 layers of plasterboard.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back