Re-using combi boiler flue ?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My son has a Vaillant Ecotec pro28 in the loft with a flue going up through the tiled roof. The boiler is one of the first of this model dated 2006 so is due for replacement. Could the current model of the Vaillant Ecotec be installed to use the existing flue. The boiler is on a flat wall between the houses (semi- detached) so there is plenty of room. The reason is to save the cost of a new flue to be installed on the roof i.e. scaffolding, roof tiles etc.

Sponsored Links
Both above answers are technically wrong what the regs state is the flue should last the lifetime of the appliance .
And as the existing appliance is 16 years old then its highly likely that the flue will not last the lifetime of the new boiler so new flue at same time

Sponsored Links
Jeesh ... :eek: ... it really should have a new flue ... that's all the OP was asking.

Last edited:
if you know what you are upto scaffolding is probably not required- length of rope and a bit of luck and all is well

and you should know the actual regs and not make them up when advising . jez
I do, I pass my ACS every 5 years just like you and every other GSR engineer but as it was a DIY question as to whether the flue should be used or not, I think the answer given to the question was all that was needed rather than having to be so technically correct just to have a go, IMO there's honestly no need.

Certainly not on someone else's post.

Both above answers are technically wrong what the regs state is the flue should last the lifetime of the appliance .
And as the existing appliance is 16 years old then its highly likely that the flue will not last the lifetime of the new boiler so new flue at same time
That's a very roundabout way of agreeing that the flue should be replaced, which is what we said :rolleyes:

That's a very roundabout way of agreeing that the flue should be replaced, which is what we said :rolleyes:
no its stating what is required and not what you said about flues MUST be replaced

But we hope that the boiler will be replaced by a gas registered installer and he should make the decision about the flue.

Modern flues with plastic inner tubes might last a little longer than the usual 10-12 years. But it all depends on the condition of the old one which is already older than the usual boiler lifetime.

A friend had a long horizontal flue on a Vaillant and it was badly fitted and it had to be renewed after just three years.

If your's was in very good condition the installer might agree to postpone the renewal for a few years but because he would then have no control on ensuring it would actually get done, most would expect to replace it with the new boiler.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back