Re-using old driveway base?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I took up the knackered old slabs from my drive and underneath is a nice solid concrete base. Its too bumpy to pave now but has no cracks, weeds etc. Being the tight git that I am, I'm wondering how to re-use the base to make a presentable drive on the cheap (getting ride of the concrete will be a nightmare as well :( ).

Gravel would be dangerous, or is there a trick that the paving expert site has missed?

Would self-binding gravel be too agricultural looking outside a house?

Any thoughts more than welcome!! ;)

thanks

Sponsored Links
You cant self binding gravel as there is no drainage through the concrete and therefore it will get washed around.

Really on a solid concrete slab asphalt, resin bound gravel or slabs of some sort are your only options.

Thanks

Had an idea. Lay slabs but with gravel around them- not in big enough spaces for it to slide about (also gravel that isn't that slidey). That would get around the slight bumpy/uneven base.

To kango up the base, skip it & pay to get it done properly is depressing!

Your tyres will throw the gravel everywhere. There is no miracle fix for this one, you either chose one of the finishes i mentioned or you go with a cheaper but ill advised gravel arrangement and live with the compromise.

I can thoroughly understand it is depressing how much a new drive costs, you should see the look on some peoples faces when you give them a ball park figure.

:eek: :eek:

Sponsored Links
First you say its too bumpy to pave, then you say you might pave it with some gravel thrown in.....

why not lay slabs on a good strong mortar mix right over the concrete?

There are a few lumpy bits of old cement that would make paving tricky, I guess I could smooth it out though.

I'm thinking along the lines of ripping it up at the weekend and getting a quote for a sub-base to be put in. Then I can just stick some decent stones on the top myself. Probably the cheapest way to get a respectable drive?

Its quite a big space so a proper block paved drive would cost ££££ :eek:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back