re-wire in stages by different electricians

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
If i had a re-wire done by different electricians over the course of a year and a half, as and when i could afford to, and none of the electricians would certify each others work, would i need building regs? i know you would for a re-wire but would you for each stage of the work if it was done by different people at different times?
it's a tough question i know, anyone have an answer?
ade

Sponsored Links
If you use part P approved electricians then you dont need to worry about notifying BC.
If each electrician rewires a complete circuit & certificates that circuit only wheres the problem?
You only have a problem if any electrician only completes half a circuit rewire, because the following spark will (probably) not complete what remains of that partial rewire of circuit.

I would do the cu & bonding first (dependant on state of rest of installation), then do the rest of the rewire circuit by circuit over the time scale you are looking at, not the cheapest or easiest option in my view......but it's your rewire & you are the customer.

i've had the house re-wired by a friend who is a spark but i did not get a certificate because it was a cash job and its not him who dishes out the certificates in his company, i need to sell the house, i've had a periodical test and all was ok, can i get round building regs by saying it was not re-wired all at once or by the same person?

Well there you are you think it's a deal for cash at the time......but now certs are needed to sell the property .....oh dear harsh lesson learnt, because odds on who ever looks at the property will want to see certification for any electrical work (solicitor definately will before exchanging contracts).

You could approach your BC pay the large fee they will probably want for test & inspection of the install & hope that they wont find any problems with the installation with regard to part P that they will want putting right before they sign off the installation.
Or they might just take one look, ask you why the work wasnt notified slap you with any fines that are due because its not been notified, ask who did the work chase them for not completing the required certification & notification & fine him also for this breech of part P regs.
Ask how he was paid for this work.....cash........ oh dear we wont go there.

or

just say it was rewired in 2004 & hope nobody looks at the T/E sheath or cu for a date/year stamp that will at a guess probably say 2006/7.

Sorry if this sounds abrupt.

Sponsored Links
If you had your car repaired at several garages would that also make you exempt from an MOT?

tell me about it, NEVER AGAIN!!!! all by the book since then!
i didn't own the house in 2004 and when my so called mate did the re-wire he did not make it clear how important it was that i needed the certificate or that i would not be able to sell without the paperwork, he did a good job but what good is that without the paperwork........

tell me about it, NEVER AGAIN!!!! all by the book since then!
i didn't own the house in 2004 and when my so called mate did the re-wire he did not make it clear how important it was that i needed the certificate or that i would not be able to sell without the paperwork, he did a good job but what good is that without the paperwork........

As I say lesson learnt....you wont be the last to get caught out like this & before long some BC's might start to dish out some fines (£200 for non notification or upto £5000 for breech of regs I think) when home owners come asking for BC to test & certificate all because the house buyers are going to pull out unless a certificate is forth comming.
Then maybe the yearly fee we pay our scheme operators will become justified because joe public will get to hear about using part P registered sparks & not a mate or pole from down the road on a cash job minus testing & certification..

before long some BC's might start to dish out some fines (£200 for non notification or upto £5000 for breech of regs I think) when home owners come asking for BC to test & certificate all because the house buyers are going to pull out unless a certificate is forth comming.

That would require them to lay the relevant documents before a magistrates court within 6 months of you having failed to notify them ;)

Anyway, its not like regulisation is too uncommon, it happens from time to time, oh and in the case of electrical works, a PIR is the recommended remedy, so OP, speak to building control ask about regulisation for electricial works and ask if they'll accept a defect free PIR as evidence that the work meets the technical requirements of the building regs

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back