Re-wiring Appliances from Europe.....?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi - I am moving from the Netherlands back to the UK in a months time, and have some appliances which I want to bring back with me (Fridge Freezer/Stereo/Microwave). I have a problem in that I am not sure whether it is safe to just plug these in using adaptors in the UK, considering they will be for long term use.

My question is therefore would this be safe (using adaptors on appliances for long term use), and if it isn't safe is it possible to get them re-wired by an Electrician to include an earth and a UK plug ? :confused:

Cheers,
Drago

Sponsored Links
best answer is to sell them and the money you get buy new appliances, i am not joking it may not be "legal" to use in the UK, it will have no waranty, and it will be more cost than its worth to bring them to uk standard, thats assuming they dont go bang (they shouldn't)

All these products are made by multinational companies, and they are the same in all European markets.

If it is CE marked then it is legal and safe to use in the UK.

If the appliance is double insulated it does not need an earth, and attempting to introduce one, here or in The Netherlands would probably be dangerous.

You do not need an electrician to change a plug.

Re warranty - they may no longer be under warranty anyway, but if they are then a call to the manufacturer will establish whether or not it is valid over here. We are in the EC remember, and it is not inconceivable that some member states have consumer legislation that forces manufacturers to honour their warranty if equipment sold in country A is taken to country B.

Re the economics - if there's a truckload of stuff coming anyway, it might cost virtually nothing to bring them.

ban-all-sheds said:
All these products are made by multinational companies, and they are the same in all European markets.

If it is CE marked then it is legal and safe to use in the UK.

If the appliance is double insulated it does not need an earth, and attempting to introduce one, here or in The Netherlands would probably be dangerous.

You do not need an electrician to change a plug.

Re warranty - they may no longer be under warranty anyway, but if they are then a call to the manufacturer will establish whether or not it is valid over here. We are in the EC remember, and it is not inconceivable that some member states have consumer legislation that forces manufacturers to honour their warranty if equipment sold in country A is taken to country B.

Re the economics - if there's a truckload of stuff coming anyway, it might cost virtually nothing to bring them.

Cheers Mr Ban :LOL: You have put my mind at rest there. I believe they are Double insulated and CE Marked so I should have no problems.

In regards to the items actually coming with me, it does work out a lot cheaper to move them with the rest of my gear. I have a removal van coming with the rest so might aswell stick this lot in aswell. It will save me some cash in the long run. :idea: Thanks for the info

Sponsored Links
You didn't mention an oven, but just in case it is on your list somewhere you should bear in mind that in the UK we only have single phase power in homes. I am aware that in the Netherlands 3-phase is available for things such as electric ovens. :idea:

And remember there are certain things you aren't allowed to bring back from the Netherlands into the UK ;)

AdamW said:
And remember there are certain things you aren't allowed to bring back from the Netherlands into the UK ;)

I don't think that comes under this forum though Adam :D

from what i have read german cookers (and germany seems very similar to the netherlands in wireing practive) are designed to be wired to either single or 3 phase depending on whats availible

Be careful with cookers. In the UK fixed wiring is coloured red (live) black (neutral) and green/s unsleeved/green & yellow (earth). Not like flexible wiring, which is the EU standard of brown (live), blue (neutral) and green/yellow (earth).

The old red/black/green colour standard is about to change starting 1/4/04 and after 1/4/06 all new fixed wiring will have to be the new EU standard.

I can't wait to start sleeving all my existing wiring :confused:

Note that grey can be used for earth in new 3 core wiring. And whilst blue could be a phase before, it is now neutral (although that one should be ok because most people will be used to flex colours by now).

For anyone who wants more info, see here.

generally you shouldn't use adaptors long term if you can aviod it

european appliances that need an earth (ie not double insulated) should have one already (plugs have scraping stlye earth contacts) even if there were no contacts in the sockets for it to mate with in your netherlands house

the flex color codes are the same accross the eu so you can just cut the plugs off and wire on uk 13A 3 pin plugs

AdamW said:
I can't wait to start sleeving all my existing wiring :confused:

Note that grey can be used for earth in new 3 core wiring. And whilst blue could be a phase before, it is now neutral (although that one should be ok because most people will be used to flex colours by now).

For anyone who wants more info, see here.
I'm a bit confused about this...

Adam, are you sure grey can be used as earth? I though green/yellow was being harmonised through out. I'd guess a three wire black/brown/grey would be for 3-phase delta wiring, which used to be blue/brown/black. To break out blue. Or am I way off?

Most cookers for Europe support both 3-phase (many countries use 5x1.5mm2), and single phase for UK.

I used to work as an electrician in Sweden. Some old installations there have 220V between the phases! Hence, you have 2-phase in the wall sockets!

All new installations in EU contries should have an earth.

Stod, is there anywhere you can get the new wiring specs, etc?

Thanks ban-all-sheds! I was correct about the colour coding then. :)

Sponsored Links
Back