Re-Wiring Telephone into house.

AlanB27 said:
as modern phones or devices are not polarity conscious and therefore it does not matter if you get them the other way round.

Hi Alan, nice to meet a BT engineer on line!

I have fitted hundreds of extensions in my time (albeit I am not a telecoms engineer), and always get confused when people say what you have.

I fitted an extension socket at a customer's house a few years ago. I tested it with my AX tester (polarity & bell line tester) and it was OK, albeit reading reverse polarity.

However, I got a call later from the customer saying his BB was not working. I went round & after reversing polarity (so the tester was now reading green, not red), it worked fine.

So in this case at least, the BB modem was polarity conscious.

Sponsored Links
securespark said:
AlanB27 said:
as modern phones or devices are not polarity conscious and therefore it does not matter if you get them the other way round.

Hi Alan, nice to meet a BT engineer on line!

I have fitted hundreds of extensions in my time (albeit I am not a telecoms engineer), and always get confused when people say what you have.

I fitted an extension socket at a customer's house a few years ago. I tested it with my AX tester (polarity & bell line tester) and it was OK, albeit reading reverse polarity.

However, I got a call later from the customer saying his BB was not working. I went round & after reversing polarity (so the tester was now reading green, not red), it worked fine.

So in this case at least, the BB modem was polarity conscious.

Hi securespark, yeah it certainly CAN happen, depending on the age model and make of modem/router/phone etc albeit less and less nowadays.

I for one have certainly never come across an instance like it, and whenever im jointing in the external network i dont pay TOO much attention to A leg to A leg etc etc :LOL: although saying that the older hands are quick to point out if your NOT doing it right hehe

For what it was worth, I always made sure my wiring showed correct polarity.

This is related to the original post. So hopefully someone can advise rather than start a fresh thread.

I have a normal domestic line into the house downstairs and from the same grey junction box on the outside of the house there is a seperate business line mainly for broadbnad, diff number, that runs around the house to the back and into my study on the first floor. BT have quoted me £162 to wire the existing physical cable/business line into the domestic line in the junction box as an extension.

Obviously it would be a waste to pull the existing cable out and replace it...with another cable. Now, technically I am capable of moving the wires myself but will I be faced with a single pair which then goes into my NTE box in my study ? and if so what do I need to do to turn that cable into an "extension" connection...and is it as straight forward as it seems ? Hope I've made myself clear..... :confused:

Actually, thinking about it..can I assume that the BT engineer will have to make the connection in my current domestic NTE so will have to extend the outside cable into the house and that NTE anyway ? Or again...can it be done in the grey junction box ?

Sponsored Links
Most likey use spare pairs from the nte on the house line back out to joint outside, and then around to the business line.

Are you removing service from the business line?

Thats right..the business line will be "disabled" when I leave my current company.

You make a good point about extending the NTE to the junction box and making the joint there. The NTE is inside the house on the same part of the wall so that would be a doddle.

Thank you ..... ;)

There is likely spare cores in the cable - It is typical for BT to use a 3 pair cable, one pair for the line, two pairs spare. The two spares can be used for your 'extension wiring'......

A really rough pic!

untitleddm3.png

Oh right so what we are saying is that it is no different...than hard wiring an extension socket in rather than use the usual DIY extension kit and plug it into the NTE ? Very cool....

I suppose if I was very lazy I could plug the kit into the NTE and join the kit cable through the wall into my current business line cable in the Junction box. I like the more "permanent" solution you suggest though. I would have to change the NTE box in my study for a normal extension box of course.

Should point out that my purpose for doing this is for broadband continuity in my study upstairs and I'm not sure if the splitter (broadband/voice) has to sit on the main NTE or can go on an extension...not a problem I guess as I'll just run the extension from the NTE which I am doing anyway...only via the splitter.I'll have to check that out.

The really lazy way is to just go wireless which I can as I have a wireless router which I can relocate to the lounge where the domestic NTE is...behind a big chair. It just seems a waste to not use the cable

Very appreciative of your advice and an excellent diagram......so many thanks again for that.

FAO ALAN ..............OR ANY BT ENGINEER!!! HELP!!!

I need your help too!!!!!!!!

I have just kicked off the master socket in the house whilst decorating, silly I know but its ripped out some cables, looks a bit of a mess and all lines are dead. BT want £120 call out and £99 an hour to come and fix it cos its my fault!
It cant be hard surely… I hope you can help!!!
Let me explain what I can see…. It looks a bit of a mish mash from well before I moved in, but everything worked fine, fast broadband, 3 digital phones,,, all ok.

The BT cable from outside to the LJU master socket is grey sheathed (I think pre 1980 installation) and has 4 wires in it, all solid colours, orange, blue, brown and green.

I understand that the wires go as follows….
blue to pin 2, orange to pin 5, brown to pin 3 and green to pin 4 (if used), on some conversions green was used for pin 3 and brown for pin 4??? Is this correct? If not, what shluod I connect.

Now do I buy a new LJU2 master socket and wire up as above, or can these wires be put into a new NTE5 box? And how?

Then from the master socket, I have a white cable with the 6 coloured wires in it.
1 Green/white
2 Blue/white
3 Orange/white
4 White/orange
5 White/blue
6 White/green

I believe the numbers above correspond to the points in the master socket?
Now this cable was wired thro the back of the master socket into the connectors. I think some were loose and not connected. This white cable then runs under the carpet to the other extensions in the house.

Basically I need to know which wires to connect and which not to.
I have got the tool to push the wires in, I take it you do not need to strip the insulation on them?
I have searched on the net and found a lot of info, but cant find anything on how to connect up the grey cable with 4 wires to the master box. This is where my main problem lies, but a full simple guide would be a great help.

Can you help! Thanks very muchly!

shane

The grey cable has two pairs - one pair will be UNUSED. You only need a single pair from the street for a line.

This pair will terminate to the A and B terminals on the rear of the NTE5A (if you need one, goto ebay, people sell them with the BT logo!).

As which colours are which pair......I can't recall. You may be able to see them gently twisting around each other - but this may not be immediately obvious, and may be too messy to see now. Try any two colours to the A/B until you get dial tone!

The two cores that are not used can be folded back out the way.

It is not really too criticle which way around these two goes.

Test a phone in the NTE with NOTHING else wired up yet - check you have the line from the street correct first!

Once you have, connect you extension wiring to the lower removeable half of the NTE. Generally the colours will be 2, 3, 4, 5 - Blue/White, Orange/White, White/Orange, White/Blue respectivly, but could be different depending on who wired them! look in an extension socket to check!

The greens can be folded back out the way.

dastley said:
to be honest really wouldnot mind doing that ....

The problem is i dont have £140 spare to give to them for fixing sumit that i should be able to do my self.

The only reason im doing this in the first place is because s Virgin Media cut of the old bt line cus they thought i was not using it. and installed theres over the top. When i rung and told them the situation they said because the bt line was not in use it was not there problem
Don't BT have a thing whereby if you return to them they will do your re-connection free?
Phone sales and say you want to leave Virgin and return to BT but you don't want to pay the re-connection fee and see if they will let it go.

shaney said:
FAO ALAN ..............OR ANY BT ENGINEER!!! HELP!!!

I need your help too!!!!!!!!

I have just kicked off the master socket in the house whilst decorating, silly I know but its ripped out some cables, looks a bit of a mess and all lines are dead. BT want £120 call out and £99 an hour to come and fix it cos its my fault!
It cant be hard surely… I hope you can help!!!
Let me explain what I can see…. It looks a bit of a mish mash from well before I moved in, but everything worked fine, fast broadband, 3 digital phones,,, all ok.

The BT cable from outside to the LJU master socket is grey sheathed (I think pre 1980 installation) and has 4 wires in it, all solid colours, orange, blue, brown and green.

I understand that the wires go as follows….
blue to pin 2, orange to pin 5, brown to pin 3 and green to pin 4 (if used), on some conversions green was used for pin 3 and brown for pin 4??? Is this correct? If not, what shluod I connect.

Now do I buy a new LJU2 master socket and wire up as above, or can these wires be put into a new NTE5 box? And how?

Then from the master socket, I have a white cable with the 6 coloured wires in it.
1 Green/white
2 Blue/white
3 Orange/white
4 White/orange
5 White/blue
6 White/green

I believe the numbers above correspond to the points in the master socket?
Now this cable was wired thro the back of the master socket into the connectors. I think some were loose and not connected. This white cable then runs under the carpet to the other extensions in the house.

Basically I need to know which wires to connect and which not to.
I have got the tool to push the wires in, I take it you do not need to strip the insulation on them?
I have searched on the net and found a lot of info, but cant find anything on how to connect up the grey cable with 4 wires to the master box. This is where my main problem lies, but a full simple guide would be a great help.

Can you help! Thanks very muchly!

shane

Hi Shaney,

Ok the Orange/Blue is your main external pair. You dont need the Green/Brown with that cable at all. That pair should terminate onto a BT NTE5 on the SCREW terminations on the backplate. Dosent matter which way round you put them.

It sounds like you have an old style NTE which is actually a LJU 2/1A which has the capacitor in the back. If this is what you have then all you need to terminate is the orange on 2 and the blue on 5, forget the green/brown.

Your extension cable then needs to be wired as you said, except 1, 4 and 6 are not needed.

Ideally get yourself a proper NTE5 though, more room for cables and also easier to disconnect extensions to check dialtone

THANKYOU LECTRICIAN & ALAN!!! :D :D :D

YOUR STARS, I DIDNT THINK IT OULD BE HARD.... ILL REPORT WHEN I HAVE FITTED IT ALL!

THANKS AGAIN
:p :p :p

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back