Reading my meter

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've just moved into my new property and apparently I'm on an "Economy 9" tariff supplied by London Energy. unfortunately after talking to the call centre on 5 separate occasions I got 5 different stories as to when I get cheap electricity. I think the only way to know for sure is to check the meter but I can't see if the meter is supplying cheap or expensive leccy. There is a picture of the meter below - does anyone have experience with this type of meter and can tell me if there is a symbol that displays when the cheap stuff is flowing?

Once again, many thanks in advance.....

telemeter.jpg

Sponsored Links
can you supply a bigger picture with more detail....

as far as im aware, cheap electricity is normally 1am-8am. the meters i have dealt with normally have 2 readings, one that says 'normal' and another 'low'. there is an LED lit next to the one that is currently in operation.

unless you use the old electrical storage heaters or immersion heaters, i would suggest getting rid of and moving onto a normal tariff (cheaper peaktime). and if you do use storage heaters or immersion, i recommend you consider getting a combi-boiler fitted.

Thanks for the response.

Unfortunately this one has a digital display - when you press the blue button it cycles through the two different meter readings, then the time and finally the date. There is no LED at all.

We have storage heaters and immersion heaters but there is not gas in our block of flats. As much as I would like a boiler, it's just not happening. The crazy thing is all I want to do is put a timer on the immersion so i don't pay through the nose to heat my water. The storage heaters are on the switched supply.

I have thought about connecting the immersion heaters to the switched supply - how difficult would this be? I know there aren't any spare fuses on this side of the CU so would assume I'd need to fit additional fuse capacity.

Or put a relay/contactor with the coil on any one of the storage heater circuits - the operating current will be less than an amp, and use the contacts to interrupt the immersion feed. This measn the whole job could be done in a neat box next ot the consumer unit.

Sponsored Links
mapj1 said:
Or put a relay/contactor with the coil on any one of the storage heater circuits - the operating current will be less than an amp, and use the contacts to interrupt the immersion feed. This measn the whole job could be done in a neat box next ot the consumer unit.

Hmm sounds interesting - I'll have to investigate this further.

Are suitable relay/contactors readily availiable? I'm off to check the secrewfix site........

Don't forget you may want some sort of 'I'm cold -override me' switch as well, so you can have hot water when the E7 is off...

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back