really bad smell coming through shower head

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
for the past few weeks i have noticed a really bad smell (almost makes me sick) coming through the shower head with the water (to start with then goes after a while), we have changed the shower head but still the same stale, horrible smell comes through and i dont know why.

the shower is fed from an electric shower pump in the hot water cylinder cupboard in our bedroom. there is a hot pipe from the hot water cylinder to the pump and a cold pipe from the cold water tank in the loft. what could be causing the bad smell? could air be getting into the system somehow?

I assume it could be one of two things.

1) Something has died in the cold water tank in the loft. But the smell doesnt come through the bath taps as the bath cold tap is fed from the same water tank.

2) The filters on the pump need a good clean / changing. The pump has been installed 3 years and i dont think the filters (if there are any) have been cleaned or changed in that time.

Your thoughts and suggestions would be much appreciated.

Cheers

Matt

Sponsored Links
start by looking in the loft tank

maybe the drowned thing is lying against the shower outlet or stuck in the pipe.

start by looking in the loft tank

maybe the drowned thing is lying against the shower outlet or stuck in the pipe.

thanks john d, do you really think something could be dead in the tank like rat or a bird?? honestly ?

or human remains.
gros10-1.gif

Sponsored Links
Well, you've identified your starting points - try them and post your findings!

Okay gents, ive tried this so far, no luck yet.

Cold water storage tank in loft, lifted lid and no smell. Happy that lid is sealed correctly. CHECK

Taken shower head and hose off and replaced them. CHECK

Taken out and checked central cartridge from concealed shower valve, no smells yet. CHECK

My next stop is the shower pump. I can now only guess it is the filters. The pump is a showerforce easiboost. I will isolate the supplies and check the filters and post back.

Any other thoughts?

Cheers
Matt

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back