Realtek Ethernet Adaptor

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi. Just set up my new PC with Win 7.

All going well until today, when, as part of an update, the ethernet software was updated. This killed the internet connection, so I had to use System Restore to revert to a time before that update was downloaded.

Anybody else suffered this or similar?

If not, a warning to you!!

Sponsored Links
Never heard of a win update killing the network card, but maybe update the drivers for it from their website, then do a win update.

When I first got my compy, there were 2 drivers listed for the modem, so I deleted one, and both disappeared..ie no internet access..

Why have you got a seperate network card, and not an onboard card? Must be an old system? Otherwise update your motherboard drivers.

I've not experienced it with any of my machines (I have a feeling it's limited to very specific revisions of chip, possibly PCI-E only), however I've heard of it. Safest thing is to get the driver direct from Realtek.

Why have you got a seperate network card, and not an onboard card? Must be an old system? Otherwise update your motherboard drivers.

Why do you assume he has a seperate card? Most motherboards use Realtek NICs these days, and the driver is seperate from the motherboard drivers, as with most onboard NICs.

Why do you assume he has a seperate card? Most motherboards use Realtek NICs these days, and the driver is seperate from the motherboard drivers, as with most onboard NICs.

Because a motherboard overall driver would coverall...whereas a seperate network card would not be covered by that, and therefore, not have it's drivers updated at the same time, hence causing a crash. Why do you ask? Your logic doesn't follow, why would a motherboard with inbuilt network card have seperate drivers from the motherboard? And why question my response, rather than helping the OP? Question my logic yes, but not to post an alternative? That's called 'flaming?' Why post at all?

Sponsored Links

Because a motherboard overall driver would coverall...whereas a seperate network card would not be covered by that, and therefore, not have it's drivers updated at the same time, hence causing a crash.

That makes absolutely no sense.

Your logic doesn't follow

You'd be the expert on that..

why would a motherboard with inbuilt network card have seperate drivers from the motherboard?

Because the NIC is a bog standard PCI or PCI-E chip which happens to be soldered directly on the board and has nothing remotely motherboard-specific about it other than the MAC address written to the ROM. The driver is thus provided seperately to the rest, as it's taken directly from the NIC manufacturer and typically not repacked in any way. The only recent exception to this I've come across is nVidia nForce NICs, which use an nVidia MAC with a Marvell or Realtek (there may be others used) PHY, and the driver is supplied as one with their hugely bloated driver package.

And why question my response, rather than helping the OP? Question my logic yes, but not to post an alternative? That's called 'flaming?' Why post at all?

I think you missed a lot of my post.

Back