Rear and side extension under PD

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm in the process of buying a semi-detached house and wish to build extension to it. Originally I wanted a wrap around extension extending 2.5m into side and rear, but just realized that wrap around is not under PD. I've modified the plan and separate the rear and side extension with a gap (see attached picture). Will that be considered as permitted development?
Slide1.JPG
Slide2.JPG

Sponsored Links
Given that the wraparound idea is obviously so much better, why not submit a planning app?

Mostly because of the time constraint. We want everything to be completed and move in before our current tenancy end in October. Submitting planning application would mean losing 2 months of time towards building. Or can I ask builder to start laying foundation/building some part while waiting for the planning application?

The only bit that requires planning permission is the 2.5 x 2.5m square at the corner - where the two parts of the extension meet, right? So if you're prepared to accept the possibility that you might end up with two extensions, minus the corner bit, then why not go ahead?

Sponsored Links
There is always a drain or sewer in the wrong place with extensions :mad:. You might want to plan for a downstairs toilet at the same time, which might mean moving the gas and electric meters if they are inside.

The house looks very open, has a wall been removed between the kitchen and dining room? You would need the structural aspect looking at in detail.

You could be looking at a party wall issue at the back.

@Footsoldier888
The current kintchen diner is one big area and the previous owner has knocked down the wall between lounge and kitchen diner, making the whole ground floor look very spacious. We are planning to move the kitchen to the rear extension part. The side extension will become an en-suite bedroom.
@RichA
That's the part I'm not sure either. The worst case, we will go for something like p26 while apply planning for the corner bit.

Just wonder if neighbour consultation is required for this kind of extension?

The depths are such that there's no Prior Approval Notification required here.

"we will go for something like p26 while apply planning for the corner bit"

That's what I'd do.

OP I really admire your 'can do' attitude.

It's very hard to give an opinion without knowing the age of the house or the roof construction.

The trouble is if you set a moving in date in stone it can lead to a whole heap of financial woe.

Like if this is a Victorian house in London it could get very painful.

The property is in Cambridge. It's a Laing Easiform build around 1950s. Attached is some pictures of it.
2016-05-08 15.13.58.png
2016-06-07 07.52.06.jpg
IMG_5077.JPG

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back