Rear Bungalow extension on sloping garden

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We are planning a rear extension to our detached bungalow under Permitted Development rules. We seem to be within all the dimension rules, same height/ roof line as existing structure etc except the one which states a maximum height of 4m. Because the rear garden slopes we currently have an (as originally built) underfloor storage space of approx 1.8 m and if we extend out 4m this will probably be more like 2m to the floor joists plus the extension height which matches the original roof line and is therefore greater than 4m. It is not a 2 storey extension so I am not sure if it falls under PD or full planning permission is required. Anybody had a similar scenario?

Sponsored Links
So it doesn't comply with all the of rules then, right?

“Height” - references to height (for example, the heights of the eaves on a house extension) is the height measured from ground level. Ground level is the surface of the ground immediately adjacent to the building in question. Where ground level is not uniform (eg if the ground is sloping), then the ground level is the highest part of the surface of the ground next to the building.

From: http://webarchive.nationalarchives....00806_pdforhouseholders_technicalguidance.pdf

Or, from the GPDO itself:

"Unless the context otherwise requires, any reference in this Order to the height of a building or of plant or machinery is to be construed as a reference to its height when measured from ground level; and for the purposes of this paragraph 'ground level' means the level of the surface of the ground immediately adjacent to the building or plant or machinery in question or, where the level of the surface of the ground on which it is situated or is to be situated is not uniform, the level of the highest part of the surface of the ground adjacent to it"

http://www.legislation.gov.uk/uksi/2015/596/pdfs/uksi_20150596_en.pdf.

Last edited:
Thanks for the reply Nakajo, I suspected that to be the case. We may be able to design some funky arrangement with internal stairs dropping to an extension within PD requirements and it may even be cheaper but we would rather have preserved a single level if possible.

Sponsored Links
Yeah Woody. Invent your own definitions. ;)

OK then. Let everyone buy a load of top soil and build the their new ground floor extension with a connecting door way into the loft. (y)

Why didn't we all think of that before? :rolleyes:

So in my case because the height would be greater than 4m from where the extension starts from the original wall if I simply went out with the original roofline I would need full planning. But if the roof started at less than 4m and ended up 5 or 6 m it would be OK! So I could come out from the original wall at 3.99m with a reverse slope and end up 5m or whatever and that would look **** but be compliant as long as it remained lower than the original roof apex?

Yep, that's pretty much it. You can't build up 'ground level' as Woody wittily suggests because that in itself would be classed as development.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back