Reasonable qoutation for roofing repair?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Morning all

I've just had a quotation for some roofing work, just wondering if it seems reasonable to all? PS- I will be getting another 1 or 2 qoutes asap.

I live in a standard semi (approx 40 yrs old) with double roman tiles on the roof + i need the following doing:

- The gable end has a wet (cement) verge finish, but all the cement has fallen out. Therefore require all that gable end to be re-cemented.

- The ridge tiles require repointing (the roofer tells me) with 3 of them requiring to be rebedded also.

- There are 8 broken/chipped/cracked roof tiles that require replacing also. He wants £15 per tile to replace them. How much would a single double roman tile cost usually?

All in, cash in hand, he wants £270 - does that sound fair?

To me he needs buckets of cement, 8 tiles and maybe i'm guessing 2 to 3 hours. You guessed it, I think he's a propably a bit expensive, but i don't know.............i bow to your superior knowledge.

Any comments welcome.

Sponsored Links
Get another couple of quotes. Also ask yourself how much someone would have to pay you for clambering about 30ft up in the air.

being a roofer myself the quote seems to be fair. i would not think that you will get it much cheaper. i presume there will be no scaffolding so, pointing the verges can be a bit awkward.

Sponsored Links
Agree with deluks
how much would you hang over a gable end for!
price is about right depending on length of your gable, but without a scaffold your guess at a couple of hours work is wayyy out!

afternoon all, many thanks for the replies

ended getting two more quote's, came in at £300 and at £120.........wasn't too keen on the chap offering to do it for £120- not gona go any further on that guy. Therefore ended up going for the 1st guy at £270.

All seems to have been done ok, says he's put in an additional glue/adhesive into the cement to make sure it don't fall out of verge again. Put in the 8 tiles, didn't hear him tapping any back into the battens - just pulled them out + slid the new one's back in. Re-bedded the ridge tiles, but didn't remove all the old cement (told me u don't have to????) and then filled up the verge with cement.

£270 for 3.5 hours work js.roofing........like i thought. I don't claim it's easy to hang over a verge + climb onto roofs etc.........but this guy then proceeded to rebed (or did he just point up? ;) ) the ridge tiles of 3 other houses on the street + replace broken tiles etc + he was gone by 4.30pm. WOW i would have like to know how much he made for that 6 hours work.

£600.00 :LOL: sounds like another itinerant to me :rolleyes: .....nothing changes , .....most of the £££goes down the urinal @ the pub :LOL:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back