reasonably priced alternative to rockwool

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello,
To comply with the building regs I need to put in 270mm (well, 300mm is what my building controller wants) of rockwool. I think he's done this because my ceiling joists are 150mm deep. The area is about 12m2.

However, what I want to do is board it out but don't really want to cheat by getting it passed then ripping out 150mm of rockwool (which is what my current loft is from the regs of years ago).

Can anyone recommend a product that'll fit into 150mm with the same thermal values, but isn't prohibitively expensive.

I've been looking around and it's quite hard to figure out the values of insulation for lofts, I think this 270mm equates to a u value of 0.16 or .44w/m2?

I was thinking maybe rockwool slabs might do the job but have no idea of which thickness will do?

Sponsored Links
If you want to board the loft you will need to raise the height of the rafters. This is best done by laying new ones at right angles to the old.

1) If cost is a concern, don't look at fibre slabs ( batts ) they are twice the price of roll material and roll is fine for the ceiling and there is no real difference in insulation value.
2) Other material - PIR boards - are 60% better but three times as expensive.
3) The U value of 270 mm of fibre woool is 0.16
4) I don't understand ....... " 0.16 or 0.44 W/m2."

The U value is W/m2/K so a U value of 0.16 is a heat-loss of 0.16W/M2/K

Sponsored Links
No

R value is m2 K/W.

I'm sure that now I've written that, you are slapping your head and saying

"of course, how silly of me " :)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back