Recently installed condensing boiler ... questions!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello all
I have just had a Vaillant ecoMax pro 28E condensing boiler installed.
Why would the installer have increased the gas supply pipe from 15mm to 22mm, given that the boiler itself only has a 15mm connector (so that’s all the gas it can use)?
The person who specified the work said that the gate valve in the vent to the expansion tank was against building regulations and had to be removed. However, the person who did the work did not take the gate valve out, saying that he’d separated the feed and vent lines and therefore didn’t need to. What do you reckon?
Looking forward to being educated - thanks!

Sponsored Links
15mm pipe at the boiler does not determine "how much gas it can use".

A gate valve in a vent pipe is contrary to British Standards. Take its handle off.

the answer below copied from some months ago covers what you're asking about and more:

Gas pipe sizing:
First, the main the other side of the regulator on the gas meter is at a much higher pressure than the pipe in the house - so it can carry a lot more gas, and its pressure doesn't have to be held to a specific level.
(Think of high voltage cables - thin cables, less current for the same power)

The pressure regulator/governor on the gas meter tries to hold the pressure to 21mbar +/- 1mbar - though that seems to have crept to 22mbar (which helps). Transco only guarantee 14mbar!! ALL gas boilers say they need 20 mbar. Corgi say that there must be no more than 1mbar drop in the pipe between the meter and any appliance, with them all on full.
Nothing in that is a new regulation, it's always been a bit of a nonsense with the Transco guarantee.

Boilers (not all appliances though) have their own gas pressure regulators, which in the past would typically take the 20 ish mbar down to say 14 for the burner. So if the resistance of the gas pipe was a bit too much and the pressure at the input to the boiler was only 17mbar, its regulator would still give 14mbar so all is happy. Except Corgi, who would say the gas supply pipe, droping more than 1 mbar, would be "Not To Current Standard".

If the pressure available was too close to the 14mbar in the example , the regulator wouldn't cope, and the boiler would become "under gassed". To begin with all that would happen would be that the flames would get a bit smaller and the output from the boiler would go down. But if the pressure kept dropping, it would start to affect combustion in a way that could produce carbon monoxide which kills. Yes I have seen it in an extreme case. Corgi therefore decide that if a boiler is under-gassed sufficiently to affect combustion and the reason is that the supply pipe is too small, it is "Immediately Dangerous" and has to be disconnected.

Boilers are changing, particularly condensers. Instead of having say the 14mbar at the input to the burner, many boilers now have negative figures! That's because the fan in the flue SUCKS gas out of the pipe. These boilers are much more fussy about the gas input pressure. It's typical to find that if the pressure is less than say 18mbar, the boiler won't work at all.

So back to the 1mbar. Odyssy's pipe will pass about 1cubic metre per hour of gas, with a 1mbar drop across the pipe. That's enough for about 11kW (37000 Btu/hr) in theory. In practice, burrs on pipe ends, growths inside the pipe where flux was left to attack - whatever, mean you get less than the figure in the book. If you double the rate of gas being taken, you get 3 times the drop in the pipe. SO if you have 20mbar at the meter (often it's a bit less) and lose 3mbar in the pipe, you don't have enough pressure to even light some boilers.

For the length of pipe in the example, 22mm pipe with a 28kW combi boiler would be marginal. So it has to be 28mm.

Very interesting that ChrisR, I told one of my customers to check with his gas supplier what the minimum would at peak times BEFORE I quoted to fit his 28Kw combi, he came back and said that the reply was "I should know and was I corgi registered" !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! how can I know what they will gaurantee, twaats.

Sponsored Links
Commissioning a 35 kw this week on 28mm, I was feared trouble when I only got 15mb at the boiler. Checked at the meter and it was dropping to 16 on hot water. Transco man checked a few of the neighbouring houses then made a call. He reckons they'll have to turn up the district govenor or replace the supply into the house- we'll see! Boiler working nicely but I can't do the benchmark. Pain in the donkey.

Thanks for all the useful replies.

Now, after about 1 week, the system is sounding like a cross-channel ferry with periods where it's very noisy. Looking at previous posts, there are comments that Vaillants need to have clean systems. Do you think that the system hasn't been flushed as well as it should have been? My wife doesn't remember any power flushing taking place.

Cheers!

winchy said:
Thanks for all the useful replies

So why did you wait 8 days until thanking people for their immediate replies? was it simply that you had yet another question that you could have asked the person you paid to do the job?

I've heard the same about Vaillants but most current boilers use critical bits made by the same companies, so I don't see why there should be any difference.
?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back