Recessed LED lights in sleeper wall...?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Finally getting the garden sorted - sleeper retaining wall 4 sleepers high stacked on edge. I'd like to install some 30mm blue LEDs from Wickes, but was just wondering if there's anything to beware of before I buy.

They're described as having 'non-replaceable bulbs' but I guess this isn't a problem if the things last around 50,000 hours. My concern is that they might burn out due to being recessed in a sleeper...

Does anyone have any experience of fitting these and what do I or the contractor need to watch out for?

Thanks in advance.

Sponsored Links
'Non-replaceable bulbs' simply means the LEDS are connected directly to the wiring and cannot be individually replaced when they fail as you need to replace the wiring to the bulb as well. (They will fail, but hopefully not during their useful life.)

They shouldn't generate any real heat but they may be damaged if they are sited in direct sunlight for long periods and on at the same time. When mounting in a retaining sleeper I guess the back of the hole will face soil so make sure it is drilled at an angle falling away from the face and lean something solid over the hold when backfilling to prevent it filling up and leaving the lamps submerged.

I have a lot of LED lighting around my garden using what sounds to be a similar system (approx. 50 lamps). I bought an extra set so I have a spare transformer and can cut off and reattach any bulbs that fail early as I can't access all the wiring to replace. If a failed bulb would spoil your project then it might be worth you doing the same? Make sure you leave enough loose cable behind each bulb to allow replacement.

Thanks for that, XDave - a useful post that helps me out no end. I was wondering about leaving a length of excess cable in the event I need to replace the odd one or two if they fail.

Picking up the lights today, so will have a better understanding when I get the box open!

Sponsored Links
OK, quick summary which might help others about to do this:

We picked up the outdoor lights from Wickes - 30mm white LEDs. I was in two minds about the blue ones, but we opted for the white ones as we don't live in a particularly modern house...

The lights were installed at about 300mm off the level of the path. The instructions specify using a 22mm arbor bit, but this is a bit tight really.
We just very slightly enlarged the hole to allow for any swelling of the wood and to ensure that future removal of failed units was easier.

The wiring was a doddle - they push in from the front and link daisy-chain style at the back. The small transformer and under-path cable was sheathed in a 1.4m length of 30mm waste pipe to protect it, so hoping this will remain intact when the block paving goes down!

So far so good - I'd definitely recommend these Wickes lights for price and ease of installation - £30 for the initial set of 8, plus a couple of extension sets for a tenner a pop. Can't be bad!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back