Reciprocating saw questions

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,
I've been meaning to buy a reciprocating saw for a while now, for some jobs in the garden (cutting through some thick branches) and also for other DIY, including rough cutting through this 30mm copper waste pipe.

2NEwisUm.jpg

I've found a pretty cheap saw here:

https://www.screwfix.com/p/titan-ttb533rsp-750w-reciprocating-saw-240v/17639

and wondered whether it would be up to the job. The specs say

"Stroke length: 25mm. Max. cut in wood 115mm, steel 15mm."

Presumably that is the maximum depth in solid material, so would I be OK (with the correct blade) to use it to cut the waste pipe?

Obviously the saw is pretty basic. So what kind of DIY jobs would be out of its reach?

Any thoughts would be much appreciated.

Sponsored Links
Although the stroke length is only 25mm the blade length is such that it will do what you need without any problems at all.
They aren't renowned for accuracy of course, but they do what they are designed for very well.
John :)

I always found Titan (screwfix own brand) tool to be very good for the price.

I have a DeWalt reciprocating saw and it does a super job of cutting through conifer branches, but the blades will be blunted very quickly

I have a Lidl Parkside saw that looks identical, it's been a godsend, excellent for tree branches!.

Will go through copper waste easily but be carefull as the blade can wander, slow and steady will be fine.

Sponsored Links
not really suitable for cutting those 15mm pipes in situ
you may get away with a short metal blade because the shoe needs to support the pipe
so approaching from the front off the pipe may be impossible as the shoe can hit the wall before the blade has cut through
you may be able to start from behind working forward
but as i say the shortest blade will allow a bit off angle to and fro without the long blade getting in the way
oscillating saw and wood blade will work well

Hi,
I've been meaning to buy a reciprocating saw for a while now, for some jobs in the garden (cutting through some thick branches) and also for other DIY, including rough cutting through this 30mm copper waste pipe.

2NEwisUm.jpg

I've found a pretty cheap saw here:

https://www.screwfix.com/p/titan-ttb533rsp-750w-reciprocating-saw-240v/17639

and wondered whether it would be up to the job. The specs say

"Stroke length: 25mm. Max. cut in wood 115mm, steel 15mm."

Presumably that is the maximum depth in solid material, so would I be OK (with the correct blade) to use it to cut the waste pipe?

Obviously the saw is pretty basic. So what kind of DIY jobs would be out of its reach?

Any thoughts would be much appreciated.

Really with recip saws you don't need to take much notice of their max as long as you're steady with them and have the right blades but they're suited to 'demolition' work. Not really suited to anything requiring a clean finish.

Thanks to all.

I've ordered one and some metal blades from Amazon.

I'm going to cut the water pipes with a pipe cutter and cap them (until I get a chance to lift the floor boards and deal with them properly). For the waste pipe I just need to cut it so that I can remove the sink (which I won't be replacing).

Thanks for all of the advice.

Oldkettle,
Issue with that Saw is that it has no variable speed, only on and off.
It is a great price, and a good basic saw, but can make it very abrupt when switched on.
I use a cheap Rep saw a lot as DIY, but think it would significantly reduce its usefulness without Variable speed. However, next one up is a lot more expensive at £55 so that might be a deal breaker if you are on a budget.
Also if the Amazon blades are disappointment (like some I bought on the cheap), try the Bosch blades as significantly better and will happily go through 25cm branches.
SFK

oscillating saw and wood blade will work well

Confused. Why use a wood blade to cut copper?

BTW, I totally agree about the oscillating saw being the better option. I wish i had purchased by Multimaster 20 years earlier.

Recently got the Festool model with the depth and plunge attachments. Stunning bit of kit- expensive though.

I've got a nice bosch brushless OMT and while useful they're expensive to keep buying blades for, so for demolition work it's an absolute no for me unless absolutely neccesary.

I've got a nice bosch brushless OMT and while useful they're expensive to keep buying blades for, so for demolition work it's an absolute no for me unless absolutely neccesary.

Is that a starlock fitting?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back