Reclaimed steel beams

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have considered using 'reclaimed' steel beams in my loft for the floor, ridge and support post, as it happens new steel has worked out the same price - which is what I will be ordering - I guess the issue is knowing what grade the reclaimed steel is, it would put doubt on all the calcs. being applicable ... and I guess it would put the Structural engineers nose out of joint, also the Building Control officer if he knew.

Just wondered if anyone had successfully done this, with approval from all parties.
It seemed a simple thing to start, but the more I got into it seemed fraught with negatives.

Sponsored Links
The grade of the steel will be the same as any new steel you buy of the same section

Really, thats interesting to know, my architect got very very uptight about this, he stated that he thought these would be substandard ... so your saying all steel rolled in sections would be of the correct grade ? I am using 203x203x46kg uc, and 152x152x37kg uc - as an example.

I assume it may possibly be an older grade or to an older BS.

He said he would be writing to the BC officer to inform him that I would be using substandard steel, I guess a call to Corus would perhaps give me an answer as to whether it would be to standard or not.

Be interesting to know.

As it happens new steel is the same price, and will be used.

Unless its from Victorian times, then the typical steel sections will tend to be grade 43, and anything else will be at least a higher grade, and not lower

Sponsored Links
Thanks Woody.

My structural calcs state 'All steel work to be Grade 43a to BS4360'.

S275 and S355 has been quoted for new steel.
Corus state S275 being formerly Grade 43.

I guess you could tell the age of the steel by the cross section size of the beam, sizes produced today were obviously introduced at a certain date - the company supplying the steel: http://www.ainscoughmetals.co.uk
said they could supply all the beams in the sizes I wanted, and do the fabrication.

If I can prove its age - then I can prove its Grade ... some questions for Corus.

The other question that could be asked is what integrity would a steel beam have if it is reclaimed, a steel beam doesn't diminish in strength with age surely.

The only sigificant weakening factor would be damage by fire. That should be relatively obvious though.

Called Corus (now Tata), they fingered through a book:

The Historical Structural Steel Work Handbook.

Steel Beams (in the sizes spec'd on my plans) were introduced in 1962 (BS4 Universal Beams) - and would have been Grade 43a (grades b,c,d being a higher grade), having properties contained in BS4360 (an old standard, last amended 1979, 1972, 1969)

Prior to 1962, Tapered Flanged Common beams were in use.

In 1968 an amalgam of all standards (4 grades ETS 26, 28, 32, 36 Tonnes per sq inch.

Etc Etc ... he lost me after that with lots of technical info.

So if its not a Tapered Flanged Beam - then it will be most likely be Grade 43a or greater (and of Universal beam size).

I read in the Corus Advance brochure:
CE marking of modern beams gives - "comfort of knowing that the materials to be supplied are fully compliant with the European Construction Codes and Norms."

I guess a structural engineer will only vouch for his work if it carries that CE mark ? and consequently any Indemnity Insurance cover he holds would not cover steel not supplied with this mark ????

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back