Recommend a decent DIY wired alarm system

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello,

I've currently got no alarm at our property and were hoping someone could give me a few recommendations for a DIY HARD-WIRED system that I could install myself. My original budget was approx £500, however I've had an unexpected flood damage to the property, costing me hundreds of pounds, so unfortunately my budget is now no more than £350.

I know it's much less, but I'd rather have some security system, than nothing at all as I'm going on a pre-booked holiday within the next 3 weeks.

If possible, I'd like to have:-

GSM
UPGRADEABLE
MODERN

Much appreciate your help.

Sponsored Links
Texecom premier, depending on your skills , if not euromini as a cheap option no upgrades , but you could swop out the panel to a premier at a later date

Cheers sparky. Isn't the texecom supposed to be very complex? In the past I've installed a Friedland SA3 Wireless alarm, but never done a wired one. I'm up for a challenge though, lol.

Also can you recommend a website or place to buy one from? Lastly what is an euromini?

It's a castle / Pyronix panel 10 zones if you eol wire it prox keypad blue backlit , nice small domestic panel
Try alert electrical website

Sponsored Links
wiring alarm panels is the same basic principal across them all, so wire one you should be able to wire anotherish.

it then comes down to devices and programming them to function properly(the harder bit possibly).

Hikvision have bought Pyronix out or something yesterday, be interesting to see where that goes.

Thanks very much.

@ sparky - I checked out Alert website and the only complete kits found were:
"Pyronix Secure Kit Complete" - £86.59 and "Pyronix & Castle Care Tech Euro 46SM Grade 2 Wired Kit" - £127.95, so which one were you referring to?

@ secureiam - What type of wiring do these alarms use and does it usually come with it or would I have to buy it seperately?

Just some 8 core alarm cable and you'll be fine, you obviously need to do some reading up on wiring for alarm systems given your comments.

You will have more than one option, eol for me.

Really appreciated SecureIam. So what alarm shall I go for?

that's your call, you need to work out if it can do what you need it to.

I don't install either of them, maintain the odd one or two, but they are perfectly capable panels that don't break the bank.

Please accept my sincere apologies guys as I've been reading up about it and have now decided against a wired system as it's too complex for an amateur like me. I'm going to have to go for a wireless version.

So sorry again.

When i moved into my property, I self installed a Honeywell Galaxy G2 panel - the resistors took a bit of working out in the PIRs but the door contacts had selectable resisters so you just cut the one relevant for honeywell. Also got an RF portal for a wireless door contact on the shed. Since the install nearly 3 years ago, not had a single issue or false alarm, very reliable. Also got it to set to sms and email me in the event of alarm activation hardwired into the phone line.

wired and wireless are as complicated as each other.

The only difference is that depending on how you wire a device will depending on the wiring type selected.
The installation manual usually has a diagram on the wiring types.
Wireless depends on the panel you are doing wireless for and that can be complicated with commissioning modes and correct positioning for adequate signal etc etc.

Programming wise wireless and wired won't be much different, a door contact is e/e, a walk through zone , and the rest on guard/ intruder. If you have a part set you will omit the zone during that part set the same for wireless as you would wired, ie either an attribute, a menu to omit the zone in, or zone type that allows the zone to be automatically be omitted during a part set.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back