Recommend me a Hex key set please

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Looking for a metric set that go's from 0.7 to 8mm or 10mm. I see sets by Bondhus (never heard of them ) has been mentioned on here before

Sponsored Links
Had a standard Draper set for longer than I remember, the 5mm has been replaced once or twice as that's the one used about 90% of the time. General DIY and fixing stuff, flat pack etc.

Sponsored Links
Thanks everyone for your help so far
I have read also about getting a set with the 7mm. I am not sure how much I would use the 3.5 4.5 5.5 in the bigger kits I linked to but all kits seem to come with a 2.5.
Standard kits don't seem to come with a 7mm they are 1.5, 2, 2.5, 3, 4, 5, 6, 8 and 10-millimeter
wera are in the running now.

Make sure you get he right set for use. If used on predominately Stainless steel don't use standard metal ones as they will leave microscopic levels of iron that will then oxidize to a rust colour. Wera do a stainless set as well as normal steel. Buy quality (Wera) buy once buy cheap buy twice or three times if really cheap crap.

If necessary buy a separate 7 mm Allen key for brake caliper bolts etc. Actually don't buy a 7 mm hex socket in 3/8" as they are lower profile and easier to put a but of torque on if needed.

I wont be using for any one thing its for everything and anything. I have a rolson short screwdriver thing with smaller hex bits but don't get the long reach of the hex keys. I have a takeaway tub with loads of Allen keys acquired over the years some inherited and all mixed up some imperial, some that came with door handles etc and fed up with trying to find the right one and usually end up with an ill fitting imperial and messing up the bolt/ screw.
So thought it would be nice to have a proper set, that I buy once and don't swear at.

I have about 10 different sets but the ones that live in my rucksack are the metric American Eklind ones- approx £15 (but no 7mm)

I have been happy with the quality. As stated previously, the Wera ones are good.

I must confess that a lot of the time, I use long torx bits in my ratchet screwdriver instead of the Allan keys.

I have about 10 different sets but the ones that live in my rucksack are the metric American Eklind ones- approx £15 (but no 7mm)

I have been happy with the quality. As stated previously, the Wera ones are good.

I must confess that a lot of the time, I use long torx bits in my ratchet screwdriver instead of the Allan keys.
Another one in the mix thanks (y)

Got a decent Wiha T handle set years ago for bike maintenance but these are now not cheap.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back