recommendation for a wireless room stat

Sponsored Links
That looks really interesting. I'd love a Nest but don't believe they work in the UK and last time I checked, it didn't seem like that would change any time soon.

The problem I have with this sort of thing is you only have one room temperature sensor. That's great if you live in an open plan building with uniform temperature/insulation properties but I don't understand how it would work in a more typical, traditional British semi.

For instance, we've just moved into a 4 bed semi with quite large variations in terms of temperature throughout the house. The kitchen and front living room are exposed on 3 walls and quite cold, with solid flooring that sucks the heat away. The dining room and rear living room are complete opposites. Upstairs, its a similar story with two bedrooms enjoying steady and consistent warmth, whereas the other two are much colder.

I've just started looking into this topic but can't help thinking something like the Honeywell Evohome is the way to go, as it essentially should achieve consistent temperature control in each room, assuming I put a suitable TRV and/or temp. sensor in each room and connect them all up to the central control.

If I had a more typical single thermostat in the hall and TRV's on all radiators, I don't see how I could get the whole house to a steady 18degrees say, without constantly adjusting the TRV's.

Or am I being completely dumb and missing something?! :)

Just had one of these fitted: £150.

Seems OK, and will double as a programmer too. And you can control it from your smarty as well!

Bear with it, it takes a few to load.

https://myhome.britishgas.co.uk/hel...British_Gas_Thermostat_User_Guide.pdf[/QUOTE]
BG engineer told me you can get these for free at the moment (until April I think) if you sign up to take Gas/Electric from them and they are looking to expand the functionality, with smart metres and more home control...

You can do the same with the 'owl' for 99 notes (ask em for the ecobuild discount)

Plus your missus or mother can both understand the three buttons on the panel AND can't **** it up without the pc/smartphone login and password.

other understands

'make it warmer now'
'i am out revert to night setback'
'i am on holiday revert to frost mode'

Sponsored Links
You can do the same with the 'owl' for 99 notes (ask em for the ecobuild discount)

Plus your missus or mother can both understand the three buttons on the panel AND can't **** it up without the pc/smartphone login and password.
No comment ;)

So the Owl can work with multi zones (i.e. individual rooms) too? Need to look into it more then.

The selling point for the Honeywell Evohome for me at the moment is that I can set just the bathroom and kitchen for early morning when we get up, for showers and breakfast, then ramp up the other rooms as the day progresses and the need arises. That only works by having a controlled TRV in each room/zone though so the Owl would need something similar.

No zones. You would have to buy two and fit a second zone valve, setting up with boiler so that either one calls for heat the boiler fires.

I'm considering that when extending the house - living/evening zone plus bedrooms/ensuites zone, timed differently/set differently. Might be easier to roll my own controller at that point though.

This is for comfort rather than economy though - law of diminishing returns etc. The main benefit is not having house hot 2 hours before you wake, as is the case with non westher compensating stat in spring/autumn.

So does it not do temperature changes in the same bizarre way that the RF3 does?

I'm so teed off with mine that I'd never risk another Drayton again, just in case they carried over the loony design.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back