Recommendation for trimless ceiling speaker

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

Could I please have some recommendations for a trimless ceiling speaker. This will essentially go into my open plan living room area, slightly behind me / my sofa. I have already run some large heavy duty speaker cable 4mm cable to the ceiling where it will drop, but now before the plasterboard goes up, I need to consider which ceiling speakers to use.

1. Am I correct in thinking that I can use Cat 6 cabling point to a telephone socket?
2. Am I correct in thinking that I can use Cat 6 cabling point to a HDMI socket?
3. As part of major home renovation projects, are people still running cables from each room to a server room in the house for multi room audio or are they doing something more up to date like wireless ceiling speakers that are mains powered via lighting cable?

Sponsored Links
Cat6 for telephone - Yes, but it's massively OTT for the application. Even simple Cat5e is massively over-spec'ed, but at least it's thinner, easier to route, and cheaper with no trade-off in telephony performance.

Cat6 to a HDMI socket - Maybe. It depends what you're expecting to do with it at either end of the cable run. Not that it's really practicable, but you wouldn't just wire up a couple of HDMI sockets with Cat6. For a start, there are 19 pin connections in HDMI. That would require running 3 x Cat6 for 1-to-1 pin connections. Second, there's a good chance there would be timing errors because of the different conductor lengths.

We use Cat cable as a way to link between HDMI-to-Cat / Cat-to-HDMI convertor boxes called Baluns. Depending on cost and quality, cheaper baluns use some fairly aggressive compression tech which does impact picture quality. All else being equal, sending more gets a better result. At the top of the tree are baluns using a technology called HDBaseT.

running a video distribution network via HDMI cables or balun convertors made sense when the business of playing media was restricted to a central media player such as a Kaleidoscape because online streaming didn't really exist, and even if it did, the TVs of the day were dumb and "thin-client" media players were flaky. Things have changed a lot. Lots of media is now available online. TVs can decode and display the media files. Media player devices are available from a few tens of Pounds that eclipse the performance of older players from 6-7 years ago. There are still advantages in picture and sound quality terms for physical media such as Blu-ray disc and UHD BD. Also, streamed content isn't always available, or not in the Special Edition versions of physical media. For these reasons then, there's a good case to make for having a main media player in the family room for group viewing, But I wouldn't bother distributing that to the master bedroom or the kids rooms.

There's perhaps more of a case to be made for sharing say a Sky Q mini player at 1080p via the house RF cable system, or maybe being able to access the CCTV user menus, but anything else seems a bit redundant.

It isn't recommended to power anything from the lighting 'ring' that isn't lighting or directly lighting-related. The risk is that someone other than you might be working on it thinking it's isolated because it's not a light and then find out rather unpleasantly that it isn't.

Multiroom audio for the DIY'er normally means a wireless system based on Wi-Fi e.g. Sonos / Yamaha Musiccast / Denon Heos / Bluesound etc. (link here to some of the usual suspects) or on progressively lower budgets a bunch of smart speakers from the likes of Apple or Google. A lot of this gear also has Ethernet sockets. A bit of wire just works and it keeps working regardless of what's happening with the Wi-Fi in the house.

The advantages with in-ceiling speakers are that they look cool and can give a better stereo effect than an single point stereo speaker. The performance gap between in-ceilings and decent smart speakers is closing. A couple of Sonos 5s will set the owner back £1000 for the pair, but they won't be far off the pace of a decent pair of £300/pr 6.5" in-ceiling speakers (+ fire hoods) [Blucube BCK65 spkrs, Hoodie fire hoods] + the £600 Sonos amp. The bigger bass-drivers in the in-ceilings gives them a bass extension edge, but all other factors weighed in it's a closer call.

Of course, the in-ceiling speakers don't have to be driven by a dedicated streaming amp. They could just as easily be powered from the Zone 2 speaker outputs of an existing AV receiver or Speakers B out of a stereo amp. This changes the costings significantly, particularly if the amp includes streaming and NAS access already. .

The music sources are:
#1 free or subscription streaming - Spotify, Tidal, Qubuz, Apple Music, etc (Google is your friend)
#2 music trapped on a 'phone and shared to one of the speakers/streamers/multiroom components via Bluetooth and then distributed via the network
#3 ripped music stored on a NAS drive

Low-rent users will cast Youtube (complete with adverts) to their home network speakers

Lucid - if I recall you run a business and I recall seeing your helpful advice a couple of years ago. Could you please private message me your contact details please?

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back