Recommendations for new kitchen monobloc mixer tap

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
It's been 10 years since our kitchen was installed and the Blanco BM5400 chrome mixer tap was fitted, but it is now leaking so badly it is time to replace it.

Looking around for a replacement, I see that single lever taps seem to be "the thing", but having had a double lever tap, for some reason I'm struggling to persuade myself to move to single lever and my wife feels the same.

What's the thing with single lever taps? Are there any advantages/disadvantages over double lever, apart from being able to operate using only one hand, which isn't an issue for me as I have two hands ;) Should I be aware of anything in terms of maintenance?

Also, I see that my current Blanco tap was installed with copper tails that taper towards the tap and the other 15mm ends fit into pushfit fittings. It would appear the installer preferred pushfit as he's used copper pipes, but they are all connected using pushfit elbows and connectors.

To minimise the effort of replacing the tap, ideally I would want a tap that allows me to use the same copper tails, but this may be asking a lot. Looking around at taps, some come with tails, some without, but is there a standard fitting in the tap that would allow me to re-use the copper tails I already have. This is assuming I can actually remove the tails from the tap, which I won't be sure of until I try! I'm hoping they will simply unscrew.

Thanks in advance for any advice you can give.

Sponsored Links
Just before you get stuck in.....
Have you considered the likes of tapmagician.co.uk for replacement inserts?
If that’s no good, choose a tap where parts are available from Howdens or whatever. The firm above sorted me out no bother and overnight delivery.
Yours is the Blanco Max, and all parts are available.
John

Just before you get stuck in.....
Have you considered the likes of tapmagician.co.uk for replacement inserts?
If that’s no good, choose a tap where parts are available from Howdens or whatever. The firm above sorted me out no bother and overnight delivery.
Yours is the Blanco Max, and all parts are available.
John
I tried to repair the tap around a year ago when it first started leaking. From memory, I easily removed the cartridge from the right side (cold supply), but couldn't budge the left side (hot supply), it was completely welded.

I even tried hitting it with a hammer, but it wouldn't budge and I was concerned about breaking the work surface so gave up.

The tap is 10 years old so I don't mind replacing it for a newer (more modern) version!

Can't say I've been that impressed with the Blanco products. It's also a Blanco bowl and it developed a small hole a few years ago, possibly from a sharp knife being dropped into it, which then started leaking water into the cupboard underneath the bowl. I was amazed at just how incredibly thin the stainless steel bowl was.

So, one thing I'm fairly sure of, I won't be getting a Blanco tap as a replacement :)

I guess the best reason for replacing like for like is that the water connections should be the same.....it all depends on how accessible the pipes are.
I go for the traditional taps that Howdens offer, they seem ok but the choice is massive.
I don’t like IKEA stuff or Victoria plumb but that’s just me- largely you get what you pay for but ultra fancy stuff just gives problems later on.
John

Sponsored Links
Having looked around, I have found the following tap that has similar dimensions (quite a long reach) to my old, leaking Blanco tap. Looking at the installation instructions, it looks like it may also come with copper tails, which would be a bonus, although I see nothing that specifically states they are copper.

Rangemaster Parma Chrome Kitchen Sink Mixer tap

rangemaster-parma-chrome-kitchen-sink-mixer-tap-tpm1cm-p19784-179600_image.jpg

I've never heard of Rangemaster taps. Are they any good?

Comes with a 5 year warranty, but that seems to be normal these days.

Looking at the Rangemaster logo, I think they are part of the AGA group so they should be fine.
All spares are available from tapmagician.
It's really only the cartridges and connection of the swan neck to the tap body that give issues anyway, so nothing to stop you going for it!
John :)

The Rangemaster Parma was supplied with some flexible tails, which was a little disappointing, but ordered some copper tails and used these instead. It avoided having to change the pipe configuration under the sink and because all the copper pipe work was connected using JG Speedfit plastic push-fit fittings it was relatively easy to connect up the new copper tails, once they had been compared to the old tails and cut to size.

Really pleased with the end result and the tap looks good.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back