Recommended Electric Underfloor Heating System

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

I am wanting to buy a DIY Electric Underfloor Heating Kit. Can anyone recommend a good one and where to get a good price? It is for my kitchen 6m2 approx. (UK)

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Warmup and DEVI are good, assuming you are going for all electric?

The circuit supplying the floor must be protected by an RCD.

Dont forget that this is notifiable work.......

Hi, thanks for the response. Who do i need to notify? The council? I never realised. Maybe i have a few things to notify them about, can you confirm if i have to notify them about the following.

- I have made my cellar into a liveable space
- I have installed a Water Underfloor Heating System in the Cellar
- I am having my upstairs converted into two bedrooms (from one bedroom). It was two bedrooms a few years ago but the person before i had the house made it into one large bedroom.

Wrong forum for most of that, but if the water underfloor heating system has any electrical control then yes it is notifiable.

Notification is to your council building control office. There is a fee that goes with it, which can be several hundred pounds. This often means that for small/simple electrical work it is cheaper to hire a registered electrician.

I have found that Elektrica (http://www.uheat.co.uk) are one of the best on price (probably because they are imported from Poland).

Sponsored Links
Wrong forum for most of that, but if the water underfloor heating system has any electrical control then yes it is notifiable.
I beg to differ.

Why do you think it's notifiable? :confused:

According to approved document P, "Electric floor or central heating systems" are special installations. IMO any underfloor heating system which is water based but has electrical control therefore counts as a special installation.

So what is the basis of your disagreement? You have not explained.

According to approved document P, "Electric floor or central heating systems" are special installations.
Approved document P has no bearing or any kind of jurisdiction in the context of what is legal, illegal, notifiable and no notifiable.

IMO any underfloor heating system which is water based but has electrical control therefore counts as a special installation.
Is your opinion based on the law, or just something you made up?

So what is the basis of your disagreement? You have not explained.
I think it's pretty obvious - you haven't cited any part of the legislation to support your assertion.

Fine. As you know the statutory instruments form part of UK legislation.
As an extension to the notification requirements in SI 2000 No. 2531, schedule 2B in SI 2004 No. 3210 clearly states that "an electric floor or ceiling heating system" is included in the term "special installation", and that a building notice may not be required as long as the work does not involve a special installation.

Please now detail why you disagree with my assertion.

Previously said:
IMO any underfloor heating system which is water based but has electrical control therefore counts as a special installation.
But then said:
As an extension to the notification requirements in SI 2000 No. 2531, schedule 2B in SI 2004 No. 3210 clearly states that "an electric floor or ceiling heating system" is included in the term "special installation", and that a building notice may not be required as long as the work does not involve a special installation.
So, make your mind up which one you're talking about - water based, or not. :rolleyes:

My mind is clear, it's yours that seems to be struggling at the idea that a system can be BOTH water based and electrical. :rolleyes:

My statement was very clear: "if the water underfloor heating system has any electrical control then yes it is notifiable"

Subsequent to that statement you decided to disagree. So again I ask you why you think an underfloor heating system with an electrical control is not notifiable.

My mind is clear, it's yours that seems to be struggling at the idea that a system can be BOTH water based and electrical.
That's very amusing. Or at least it will be at the moment when you realise your error.

My statement was very clear: "if the water underfloor heating system has any electrical control then yes it is notifiable"
And my response was very clear, so I see no need to repeat it here.

Subsequent to that statement you decided to disagree. So again I ask you why you think an underfloor heating system with an electrical control is not notifiable.
It's obvious why not - there is no legislation that requires it.

If there were, then you'd be able to quote the relevant text from that legislation and make it apply to this work without twisting its meaning. And you can't, therefore there isn't.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back