Reconnecting BT Mastersocket wires, With Pics.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, Whilst decorating the wires were pulled out of the Master Socket (pic Below) which is located on the upstairs bedroom window..
Now i want to put an extension from this straight to living room where i can put another socket which i can use for Broadband + Phone..
It looks pretty simple and how and which extension should i buy? and which wire colours connect where? as this socket is ancient.. I cant afford to get BT guy coming down.
Image004-1.jpg

Image003-1.jpg

Sponsored Links
The wires in the junction box look pretty corroded, so to start with I would use some wire wool to rub off the green on the end of the wire.

Make sure you use the right type of cable you want a twisted pair cable, meaning either CW1308 or CAT5 cable. From the junction box to the new NTE-5 box use the blue pair in the cable to connect to the A&B terminals on the rear of the new socket. Full details of phone wiring can be found here.

Now either plug a microfilter into the new socket or fit a filtered faceplate.

This link i very useful shows how to fit your own socket and faceplate. http://www.readman.dsl.pipex.com/other/UKphonecatwiring.htm

Officially speaking you are not supposed to touch that wiring,

however you should first fit a BT 80A(screw terminals to IDC) junction box or BT 77B(screw terminals) and then from this fit CW1308 cable and terminate to an NTE5(A) with or without a junction box.

Sponsored Links
Thanks Guys for the replies..
After reding the comments and the procedure involved and with legality issues ive decided Not to do it myself..Il have to get the BT people around.. I guess its a Diy'Not' job this time.. Cheers..

Your unlikely to get into trouble over DIY'ing but i understand your concerns. PM me if youi want help & advice, i did link to a company i have used and have found to be very good but admin have seen fit to remove the post.

Hi, Whilst decorating the wires were pulled out of the Master Socket (pic Below) which is located on the upstairs bedroom window..

That is not a master socket, it is an old-style junction box.
BT will not charge you to upgrade it to a proper master socket.

Frank

The wires in the junction box look pretty corroded, so to start with I would use some wire wool to rub off the green on the end of the wire.
Be careful cleaning up the connections if you decide to do that! The older 'figure of 8' dropwire entering the top of the box is probably copper plated steel. The copper plating is the conductor, and the steel is there to support the cable. Getting too enthusiastic about cleaning it could remove all the copper plating from the steel, leaving a high restance joint, which is what you started off trying to eliminate.

modern round dropwire has seperate conductors and support wires.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back