Rectangular Decking Sub Frame with Rounded Corner

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I'm planning to add some decking directly outside my kitchen extension. The decking will take up half the width of the garden (left hand side), the other half I will put down patio slabs (right hand side). The decking will go out further than the patio and I want the furthest right corner of the decking to be rounded off. The thing is, I have never done this before haha. This will be a good challenge for me. I have done some research and know that a ledger board needs to be fitted against the kitchen wall and there should be a minimum of a 10mm gap between the ledger board and the wall (using steel washers or copper pipe to create the buffer). I can't go 150mm below the DPC because it starts just below the patio doors cill which is where I want the board to go.

One of the many questions I have is, how do I create the rounded corner of the sub frame? The way I'm thinking of doing it is to make the frame as if it is a rectangle with all the joists and cross members in place. Then mark out the rounded corner and cut the bits off that I don't need. Then attach pieces in between to strengthen the rounded corner. Is this the correct way of doing it?

The frame will be raised slightly on short posts. Under the left hand side of the decking there is an old concrete footpath, but under the right hand side of the decking there is mud. Does this complicate things?

Any advice/tips would be a great help.

Thanks
Mark

Screenshot 2021-07-27 at 00.47.46.png

Last edited:
Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back