Recurring L2 fault on 4 year old Ideal Independant C30. Very frustrating!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi. Really hope someone can finally help as this will be the 3rd winter where this same fault has happened!
Boiler works fine heating water all throughout year. Winter and cold weather arrives and boiler fails to come on in the morning on timer as set. L2 fault shows. Reignite, which sometimes works straight away and sometimes a few goes needed. Had many heating engineers out, over Christmas and New Year on the past 2 years. Everything has been changed for new at some point or another eg. Spark generator, PCB, heat exchange etc. Govenor Valve checked or replaced (Forget which now) and the problem goes away for a little while, a few days or a week, then L2 again! This cycle goes on until the cold weather goes and then as we no longer have the heating on the boiler is only heating water and it's all fine?
Now it's got colder again I've just had my first L2 fault of winter 2018 and I've had enough! Other than forking out for another boiler, RTF can i do and what's going on? Need this mystery solved.
Appreciate any help. Thanks.

Sponsored Links
sounds like a problem with the condensate, but hopefully @shambolic will be along soon, he is the expert on these and will be able to advise you better

Sponsored Links
Either an issue with condense not frozen but airlocking if not running away properly.
Or check flue doughnut etc.
Put boiler into low rate and see if you get reverb noise.
Can be gas valve out of calibration or problem with Venturi or injector needing cleaned or replaced.
Shows up with heating on as boiler will modulate when rads up to temp and also condenses a lot more but won’t really do this on hw in summer

I don't know what half of that means Shambolic but I'll pass it on to the engineer. I know that a lot of the parts you mentioned were checked or replaced at one time ot another but we'll see. Thanks for your input.

I don't know what half of that means Shambolic but I'll pass it on to the engineer. I know that a lot of the parts you mentioned were checked or replaced at one time ot another but we'll see. Thanks for your input.
@shambolic hasnt suggested that you change anything, he has suggested what to check, I think your best bet would be an Ideal fixed price repair, get someone who knows the boiler and you will get a warranty on the repair, please post back and let us know how you got on

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back