Recycling

Who should be sorting out rubbish for recycling?

• The Public

Votes: 13 56.5%
  • Sorting/Recycle Centres

Votes: 10 43.5%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
I reckon you left out an option from the polls - which is 'the manufacturer'.

So I voted public. because sooner or later we will be legislated against & fined enough that we start doing what the government should be doing right now. refusing to lug all that needless wrapping back home in the first place. When we start having to pay for each pound of waste that we chuck away, we will think twice about buying stuff that costs us £5 to unwrap. I just bought 3 4.5 inch diamond blades mail order, it came in a box 1 foot cube full of polystyrene packing (affectionately known as ghost poo in this household).

It wasn't that long ago that rag and bone men actually paid you for most types of rubbish, and milk bottles were re-used directly (rather than melting them down and re-moulding them into useless decorative items).

I think that somewhere the business comunity lost the plot.

Here in brighton there is a campaign to unwrap everything at the supermarket checkout and hand it back to the 'customer services' counter. If everyone did that, things would change fairly quickly.

Sponsored Links
I suppose I could have added many other options but I was steering the point that the government/councils think it should be all our reponsibility and whether this is a way of getting a service done on the cheap rather than keeping unemployment figures down hence just the two options.

Life's too short to recycle ... Get the convicts doing it for 50p a day and pay off their debt to society ... Problem solved ;)

And once they're too old to recycle ... Hang'em :LOL:

Sponsored Links
A society that has a wastebin is failing.

In nature there is no waste. We are the only species to have habitated this planet to creat waste, and how!

We need to stop looking to government for answers. We are on the brink of making this planet uninhabitabel in many parts due to soil erosion and climate change.

We all have a responsibilty to the next generation to make more decisions that aren't just about me me me. Just buy as much locally produced organic food as you can with the least amount (if any) packaging. I've been experimenting and can actiually live without using any packaging outside of paper. And don't but anytihng you don't need.

If not you, then who? If not now, then when?

We are on the brink of making this planet uninhabitabel in many parts due to soil erosion and climate change.
Factual justification required please.

We all have a responsibilty to the next generation to make more decisions that aren't just about me me me
Not at all, life is for the living not for recycling ... Over 50% of our lives is spent studying or working and we should enjoy the remaining 50% and have the option to pay for someone else to deal with mundane issues like recycling.

Just buy as much locally produced organic food as you can with the least amount (if any) packaging
When they make it the same price as normal (non-organic) products I'll consider it.

I've been experimenting and can actiually live without using any packaging outside of paper
Well done you ... My life isn't an experiment and I will live it to the full irrespective of the size of my carbon footprint ... Which you have probably guessed by now, is the size of bigfoot's.

And don't but anytihng you don't need.
Nonsense, life is about wants not needs

If not you, then who?
Errm ... You actually it would seem.

If not now, then when?
Sometime following my demise.

MW

People who start to practise a frugal life style now will delay the inevitable.

And, much more important, when the inevitable arrives they will be already skilled at living a frugal life and will have a better chance of survival in the enforced frugality of world wide shortages.

Which will be long after I'm dead and my ashes have been scattered over some organic crop as a last act of defiance.

Therefore ... What's the point of frugality?

When they make it the same price as normal (non-organic) products I'll consider it.

I'm curious - why do you consider food covered in pesticides and oil 'normal'?

Also, so-called normal food seems cheap only because farmers are getting shafted by the far too powerful supermarkets. 450 farmers a week in the UK are being forced off their land because the supermarkets are using their power to drive down prices. 150,000 farmers have committed suicide in india over the last ten years because of the same problem...

Orgnanic food prices are prices that are fair to workers, the natural environment and to the local businesses who sell them.

450 farmers a week in the UK are being forced off their land because the supermarkets are using their power to drive down prices.

Is that why there are so many new Range Rovers around the place?

It's exactly the reason. Firstly, the big farmers are doing very well for themsleves but thats a completely different argument!

Secondly, the vast majority Range Rovers (and this is fact) are owned by people in medium to large towns / cities. Probably because of the low prices paid to farmers that has lead them to accumulate so much wealth!

I'm curious - why do you consider food covered in pesticides and oil 'normal'?
Cos that's what I've been eating since I was born, therefore its normal to me :LOL:

Also, so-called normal food seems cheap only because farmers are getting shafted by the far too powerful supermarkets. 450 farmers a week in the UK are being forced off their land because the supermarkets are using their power to drive down prices. 150,000 farmers have committed suicide in india over the last ten years because of the same problem...
Solves Joe's immigration problem as they won't be heading here.

Orgnanic food prices are prices that are fair to workers, the natural environment and to the local businesses who sell them.
But not to the people who buy them ... So, not really a good financial model then :!:

MW

Sponsored Links
Back