Red Wine stain on white emulsion wall.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Can someone tell me please how to remove an old red wine stain from a white matt emulsion wall?

Thanks
JamesEB

Sponsored Links
Doubt you will ever get it out best to use a stain blocker and then repaint over.
Tip is to use the same tool brush, roller as used on the wall originally for applying the stain block and top coats.
Two coats of stain block are best as the stain may leech through the first but will then be locked in and the second coat will cover.
I use Zinsser Bullseye 123, a coat dries in about an hour, but lots of stain blockers out there in the DIY stores.

Or just drink more wine then you won't notice it! (y)

Thanks.That's a great help.

I did not know about stain blockers so that is a good help.

I won't be able to use the original tool as I don't know what it was. It's not a big area so was probably a brush.

Thanks for help
JamesEB

Last edited:
The instructions say to use a synthetic brush.

What is that please?

I have only a small patch to do, about 3ft 6ins X 6 ins

Thanks for help

JamesEB

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
It's one of those soft silky brushes with white tips. They are all over the place.

Thanks. I did not know about brushes with white tips before.

And what size brush would I need please for my 3ft 6 ins x 6 ins patch?

And can someone please tell me the name of a good on-line supplier of a 500ml of Zinsser Bullseye 123 and brush.

Thanks for help
JamesEB

Last edited:
Thanks and that's fine thanks.

I shall only need the one brush as I doubt I shall ever do any decorating ever again and it's only for the kitchen wall.

Do I really need a 3" brush for just a 6" strip?

Thanks again
JamesEB

Last edited:
Emulsion traditionally was put on with something like a 6" brush, I still have my father in law's 8" distemper brush, boy is that heavy when loaded!
The larger the brush as a rule the better the finish, you can use a 1" if you like, just work fast it is not a big issue you just want to get it on and smoothed out before the paint dries out.(y)

Thanks. The 3" you suggested is fine, I just don't know anything about it.

Please would you mind picking out one 3" brush for me from the link you suggested and then I'll get it all ordered.

This is all very good of you and, knowing nothing, I did not expect such a good and fast result.

Thanks again
JamesEB

Just go to B&Q. It's almost impossible to buy a bad brush these days. Or Screwfix.

Thanks both.

I asked for an online supplier because I do not have a B & Q, Screwfix or the like here.

I have now placed the online order. I know nothing about decorating but I tried a 3" then a 2" brush and could not use them easily in the space so I purchased a 1" Prodec X7 SRT Brush.

Thanks again for help
JamesEB

My online order came today so am very pleased with the service.

In the event, I did not get it from the supplier suggested.

Thanks again
JamesEB

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back