reducing flow through immersion coil

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
i am fitting a new immersion and radiators and pipe work. i am using a 3 port valve, is it wise to fit a gate valve in the immersion coil so that when i have heating and hot water on it limits the flow through the coil? will this cause a problem tho when i have just hot water on. thanks

Sponsored Links
i am fitting a new immersion and radiators and pipe work. i am using a 3 port valve, is it wise to fit a gate valve in the immersion coil so that when i have heating and hot water on it limits the flow through the coil? will this cause a problem tho when i have just hot water on. thanks

yup does the same job as a lockshield on a rad

no it wont cause a prob

fit it on the return :idea:

think your getting your plumbing confused. but as i see it i think your on about a balancing valve on the primary circuit on the dhw cylinder. eg the feed from the 3 port to the cylinder and the valve off the return pipe.

Better still - use two 2-port valves instead of a 3-port.

Sponsored Links
why do you want to reduce the flow through the cylinder when the heating is on? surely you want to fit a cylinder stat so when desired temp is reached it will shut completely allowing full flow to heating

also on the lines of kevplumb about rad valves balancing etc. the return temp will be that more lower.hopefully

When I redid my unvented last year I was told that fitting a gate valve to a cylinder return was a breach of part L as the cylinders have been designed to heat up as quickly as possible and balancing down was not necessary. Reheat time should be quick enough that there's not much detrimental effect on the heating. With modern programmers it's possible to have the hot water come on earlier than the heating anyway.

May be the case for unvented, but not for vented, and the unvented have their own two port valve anyway. I have had to fit a restrictor on systems purely because the HW circuit had too much flow. It was causing pumping over via the vent pipe. The cylinder will not heat up any quicker just because the flow is higher. The water in the coil has to have enough time to give up its heat. EXACTLY the same as radiators being fully open, you don't get any more heat out of the water. The water just gets back to the boiler to hot.

For maximum efficiency all circuits should be balanced, however on a small domestic system , adding DRV and control stations, etc, etc, is OTT and un-necessary.

Disagree with a couple of comments by Oilman, of course it will heat up quicker if you have more flow, or slower if you restrict it, that's the whole point of balancing a system, but as above the advantages are minimal on a small domestic.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back