Reducing IKEA kitchen door in size

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

I need to reduce the door below by about 10cm in width to match a custom cabinet size, what is the easiest and neatest way to do it ?

ulriksdal-door-for-corner-wall-cabinet__76405_PE195939_S4.jpg.jpg

The best way would probably be to dismantle the frame first, but don't know how to do it properly. I've read that you could use a heat gun to melt the glue and then take it apart carefully, but I don't have it and trying to do the same with a blow dryer made no effect on the bond.

The other option that I have in mind is to cut one side of it and then screw the frame back on one side (the hinges will be on the other side) - there will be another door on that cabinet, so the joined place will be right in the middle, which is not ideal.

Are there any other options ? Thanks

Sponsored Links
As they are made in increments of 10cm then a new door one size smaller is the best option.

Sponsored Links
Hair dryer's not hot enough. If you want to have a bash at dismantling it get the right tool.

I've read that you could use a heat gun to melt the glue and then take it apart carefully, but I don't have it and trying to do the same with a blow dryer made no effect on the bond.
Whoever wrote that didn't understand the difference between heat activated PU glue (the type of glue used for iron-on edge banding) and the cross-linked PVA glue used to assemble doors. Cross-linked PVA won't reverse action whatever you do. HA PU will, although it requires the sort of heat output you get from a hot-air stripping gun - a hairdryer won't hack it (or what foxhole wrote.....).

Looking at the door I think it would be possible to resize it if you had TWO identical doors and were prepared to butcher them both to make a single door, but other than that I think you've had it, especially if it is a foil-wrapped or membrane pressed door, i.e. not solid wood (is it?)

It appeared that the frame wasn't glued at all, but kept together by 2 dowels at each corner. Only had to make one cut, and then was able to take it apart. Quite satisfied with the end result, as the cut ended up being at the ceiling level and is hardly visible.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back