Refilling and Commisioning a sealed system

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

I have drained down our sealed system CH as we had to remove most of the rads for some building work. The system has two auto air vents, a pressure vessel (obviously), and a bypass at the boiler.

Has anyone got an easy to follow step-by-step procedure for refilling and recommisioning.

I assume I will need to put some new 'fernox protector' in the system - am I right in assuming that this can be injected into the system via the air vent on one of the rads prior to pressuring?

Do I have to follow a procedure for eliminating air in the system when recommisioning? (does this involve opening/closing the boilder bypass?).

thanks in advance

Ian

Sponsored Links
FIll up to 2 bar and check for leaks first.

Let water out - will help remove any flux etc. Add inhibitor any way you can, depends which sort you have.

Fill with water to 1 bar, bleed any manual bleed points, and all the rads. Run for a few minutes, rebleed any air. CHeck its at 1 bar .That's it.

ChrisR said:
FIll up to 2 bar and check for leaks first.

Let water out - will help remove any flux etc. Add inhibitor any way you can, depends which sort you have.

Fill with water to 1 bar, bleed any manual bleed points, and all the rads. Run for a few minutes, rebleed any air. CHeck its at 1 bar .That's it.

and dont forget to remove the dust cap on the air release valve

B.O.B DOLE said:
and dont forget to remove the dust cap on the air release valve

Whats that? Is it the red cap thingy on top of the pressure vessel or is it on the air vents?

Sponsored Links
Don't touch the pressure felief valve or it'll probably leak.

Auto air vent looks like this with the screwy bit on the side
7703.gif

or this with it on top
http://www.rwc.co.uk/Public/hcv/vent.pdf

They're usually high up on the system, or if in a boiler they can be on the pump or at the top of the boiler.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back