Refurbishing 1930s dining table/chairs

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a 1930s dining table and chairs set, bought by my grandparents.

They of a dark colour (typical of the period), but I do not know what sort of wood.

I'd like to lighten them; can anyone recommend a product and/or technique to use? I'm hoping actual stripping will not be required, and that a good clean will actually lighten the finish.

Sponsored Links
A good clean with wire wool may improve them , lightening can only be done with wood bleach which requires them stripped to bare wood.

these chairs are oak. If the dirt is making them darker, using kitchen towel and white spirit and rubbing the darker areas will result in dirt coming off on the kitchen towel. If dirt isnt coming off, the chairs aint dirty :) The only way to lighten them then, is to strip the finish - once stripped, the wood will be significantly lighter in itself....

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back