REFUSED PLANNING

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Help.
Was hoping to remove a bath and fit a shower at my 86 year old disabled mothers home, she can-not no longer climb in/out of a bath, even with assistance.
Just for the record, she owns a 125 year lease from the local council.

However, the local council said NO-WAY would we get permission to carry out the work.
The reason given, the shower might leak and the water might find it's way through to the flat below.

My argument was, what about the automatic washing machine, the central heating, the boiler and any other water pipes that could leak. Their reply was still NO.

Has anyone come up against this before, are they right, or wrong.

Thanks for any feedback and all will be greatly appreciated.

Sponsored Links
cazmick said:
are they right, or wrong.
Neither, but they're acting within their rights, which exist to protect the property from modifications that might devalue it.

Sorry - I sympathise, but the harsh reality is that your mother should move, or be moved, if the dwelling is no longer suitable for her.

Sponsored Links
Softus said:
cazmick said:
are they right, or wrong.
Neither, but they're acting within their rights, which exist to protect the property from modifications that might devalue it.

Sorry - I sympathise, but the harsh reality is that your mother should move, or be moved, if the dwelling is no longer suitable for her.

Hi Softus.
Believe me, we have talked to her about an alternative home, but she has lived at this address for over 30 years. Even though she can hardly walk, she is still very much alert, very independent and firmly set in her old ways with exceptional good health.

She can still manage to look after herself very well indeed, still prepare and cook her own meals and still do her own daily housework and up until last year, was still a keen greenhouse gardener, growing her own tomatoes and cucumbers etc.

Her legs, are her only weakness, gone at the knees and climbing in/out of the bath by herself, is the only problem she has come up against.
No doubt she will continue to struggle but we are afraid that one of these days she will have a fall, however, we do, now insist that she contact my wife for assistance before trying to do it.

Hi cazmick

Please believe me, I do understand. My grandmother was in a similar position until just before she died at 97 years old.

gcol has a point - have you looked at keeping the bath but changing it? How about suggesting to the freeholder that you put aside a sum of money for converting the bath back again on a future date? The money could be Escrowed, for example.

Softus said:
Hi cazmick

Please believe me, I do understand. My grandmother was in a similar position until just before she died at 97 years old.

gcol has a point - have you looked at keeping the bath but changing it? How about suggesting to the freeholder that you put aside a sum of money for converting the bath back again on a future date? The money could be Escrowed, for example.

We spoke to the social dept about these walk-in baths, however they said, they did not recommend them, they are going to send someone round to look at the situation.

Can't see that offering any money to the freeholder would help, this property is going to be in our family for at least 115 years. God knows how many times it would have been modernised during that time.
That is of course, subject to someone in the family selling it off.

cazmick said:
Can't see that offering any money to the freeholder would help
Nor can I, which is why I didn't suggest it. :confused:

did you really get refused planning permission? i'm somewhat surprised that planning permission is necessary for changing a bath to a shower

To all that responded.

We contacted the age concerned, who then contacted the local authorities.

After several phone calls the local council have now said that we can go ahead and fit a shower and that we should not have been told otherwise.

Great news!

Many thanks for all your feedback.

That's good news. Sorry if I came across as a wet blanket; I'm glad it's gone the right way for you.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back