Regs/guidance for large holes in an internal load-bearing wall

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm looking to get a ducted air conditioning unit fitted in a utility room and have the hot/cold air ducted into the neighbouring rooms.
According to the AC company, I would need to make 2 or 3 150mm holes through an internal load-bearing wall:

I'll then create an insulated box and fit a slot diffuser on the front of it:

1712317355047.png

Fortunately, the joists run parallel to the wall.

It's fairly typical to core out 100mm holes for ventilation and soil pipes through load-bearing walls without much thought, but is there a rule-of-thumb to know how many holes, size of holes and spacing of holes are allowed before I would need to fit a lintel?

Sponsored Links
is there a rule-of-thumb to know how many holes, size of holes and spacing of holes are allowed before I would need to fit a lintel?
I doubt you will incur any structural integrity issues with a few cored out holes, no. As long as you don't remove any material directly beneath any point loads i.e. lintel, joist or beam-ends etc. And the core holes are away from corners and say 300mm apart etc. When you think that you can build a structure upon pillars or with doors and windows i.e. lots of big gaps in the masonry, then you'll get the idea.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back