Regulations

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello,

My mum looks after an old dear in sheltered acomadation bless her, however they have just had new kitchens fitted and the washing machine is pluged into a 13amp socket connected to a isolator switch. The switch however is under the worktop behind the washer, is this as per the regulations allow. Sounds wrong to me, also if anyone the regulation number to give my mum some ammo.

Thanks

Sponsored Links
It should be above the worktop, but I think it is only an recommendation to have an isolater switch and not a hard regulation .... I'm sure someone will clarify on this for you

I have seen this many time with socket behind the washing machine on the wall near the water pipe etc and have wondered if it's safe.

It's sometimes the only place to fit the socket and it's usually a spur from a double pole 20A isolating switch above the worktop which is incorporated into the ring main ... new installations anyway, but a I said before I'm sure it's only a recommendation and not a necessity by the Regs

Sponsored Links
Why does she feel the need to access the switch?

Regulations make provision for 5 different types of isolation and switching devices:

Devices for isolation
Devices for switching off for mechanical maintenance
Devices for emergency switching
Other requirements for switching safety (firemans switches)
Devices for functional switching

Regulations 537-02-10, 537-03-05 and 537-05-04 all allow a plug and socket-outlet to be used as a means of isolation, switching off for mechanical maintenance and functional switching. This means that they didn't even need to have installed an isolator switch.

Regulation 513-01-01 states that every item of equipment (which includes sockets etc) shall be arranged so as to facilitate it's operation, inspection and maintenance and access to each connection. They have still met this Regulation despite it being behind the machine because it's still accessible.

You would be hard pushed to argue that a fixed appliance needs a functional switch. They have met the requirements of isolation and switching off for mechanical maintenance. You have another option and that is emergency switching, for example if the machine developed a fault.

Regulation 537-04-04 states that devices intended for emergency switching 'shall be installed in a readily accessible position where the hazard might occur...'.

Regulation 537-04-02 does not allow a plug and socket-outlet to be used as an emergency switching device and therefore a switch should be provided aobove the surface.

It is not generally a requirement to provide emergency switching arrangements for domestic appliances but you could push your luck.

A better bet may be found in Regulation 131-14-01 states that 'Effective means, suitably placed for ready operation, shall be provided so that all voltage may be cut off from every installation, from every circuit thereof and from all equipment, as may be necessary to prevent or remove danger.'

All of my references have been from BS7671:2001 'Requirements for Electrical Installations', but you could try looking for more answers in BS8300:2001 'Design of buildings and their approaches to meet the needs of disabled people - Codes of Practice.' or 'The Building Regulations 2000 Approved Document M - Access and facilities for disabled people.'

Some of the other guys on here may know of other applicable reg's though?

Spark,

Thanks for the info, you've helped alot, as to why she she wants to turn it off - the appliance has a red light on it and the old dear doesnt like leaving it on at night!!!!!!!!

Thanks again,

Joseph

Is it still okay with the wall socket behind the washing machine,so if water pipe do burst out onto the socket etc ?

Also is there a regulation regarding wall socket minimum distance to kitchen sink? The reason I ask, sometime I put in the metal box in ready for the electrician so I can put my wall unit up.

There is no minimum distance precribed in BS7671 between socket outlets and sinks. There is rough guidance from the IEE that socket outlets should be 'as far away from the sink as possible' and as a general recommendation they should be mounted 'at a horizontal distance of not less than 300mm from the edge of the sink top.' This is not a regulation however and no reference is made to this within the wiring reg's. It would be impossible to state a minimum distance due to some kitchens being so small; so it's quite likely that in many cases you will be able to touch a socket-outlet and sink at the same time.

If I'm installing any electrical accessory close a sink, I install supplementary bonding between each of the accessories and sink/pipework. Though this is not a specific requirement of the Regulations, 471-08-01 indicates that areas of increased shock risk (and this is not just confined to the special locations) may be subject to additional protection by means of either RCD, Supplementary Equipotential Bonding or Reduced Fault Clearance time.

With regard to the washing machine socket, the only regulations that I know of are that socket outlets should be suitable for the environment in which they are installed.

Regulation 522-03-01 states that 'the wiring system shall be selected and errected so that no damage is caused by condensation or ingress of water during installation, used and maintenance.'

Regulation 512-06-01 states that 'Every item of equipment shall be of a design appropriate to the situation in which it is to be used or its mode of installation shall take account of the conditions likely to be encountered...'

If you do not reasonably expect that the socket (such as one supplied for a washing machine) will have withstand water in normal use then there is no need to make special provions for it.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back