Reinforcing Loft floor

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a loft which I want to reinforce the floor. The length is 5250 mm.

Concrete plinth running the full length of the building which is 400 mm Wide. Running Down both Sides of the length of the building there is a 7 by 2 in timber(s).

I'm only using it for basic storage it has no skylights or anything like that so I am wondering if I installed 6 x 2 inch timber - which would be resting on that central concrete plinth and also attached with roof ties onto the 7 x 2 inch beans- could you inform me what the 6x2 inch timbers spacing from each other should be please?

Here's a link to a video I've made on u tube to explain more...

Sponsored Links
That could work but the roof load is supported via the purlins by the 7x3's which will also be taking the load of the new loft floor plus humans plus kit etc. So SE calcs might be sensible.

Blup

Sponsored Links
There a chap on here called @tony1851 who's a struccie and might look at it and say no problem go ahead.
My point as diyer is that the 7x3 beam is taking the load from the rafters via the purlin, which is an sdditional factor. Usually the purlin transfers its load via a central spine wall which obviously can take far more than a 7x3.

Blup

Thank u Blup and Justin. I've got u buddies. I will contact 'tony' and see what he says

When you say "plinth" I think you mean "reinforced concrete beam"

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back