Relaced ceiling light, lights wont turn off???

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have replaced my ceiling light with a 3 bulb spot light but the lights wont turn off now.

It is controlled from 2 switches at either end of room. The wires coming from the ceiling has 4 red wires (one has a small black sleeve on it), 2 black and an earth.

I have put the two black wires to neutral.

With the red I have put 2 red and the black sleeve together and the last red on its own.

I have also tried two red together with one red and the black sleeve together and the three reds with the black sleeve on its own.

I am now at a loss of what to do to get it to work.

Please help

Sponsored Links
You didn't note which wires went where did you ?. You really need to use a meter to find which is the live and which are the switch lives.

Are sure it is not black with red sleeve?
I would suggest
*2 blacks to neutral of light
*3 reds to live loop (this is not live side of light, but a loop connection)
* black sleeved red? to live side of light
*CPC/earths to earth terminal

You didn't note which wires went where did you ?. You really need to use a meter to find which is the live and which are the switch lives.

What is difference between the live and the switch lives?

I think the live is the one causing the lights to come on and stay on? If so I know which one it is.

Where do I put them?

Sponsored Links
What is difference between the live and the switch lives?
Live, is connected in to the loop and will be permanently live.
Switch live, becomes live when the switch is closed/on.

Where do I put them?
As my post, if you cannot understand that, leave it alone!

Cheers mate. Did not see your diagram until after I posted. Working fine now. Thanks for your help.

And great name too!!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back