Relacing a CV joint on a Citroen Picasso (2002)

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi All,
My daughter's car has just failed the MOT because of a faulty offside CV joint. So it needs to be replaced quickly, otherwise mine will end up on the scrapheap.
Can anyone give me some info on the best way to tackle it or direct me to a site that will give me some help.
I have done one before, on a Zantia but that was a few years ago, so I'm not scared of taking the task on.

Thanks for all advice.
PM

Sponsored Links
In a Picasso sized nutshell......
Slacken off the driveshaft nut, then jack the car up, roadwheel off.
Remove the bottom joint swivel bolt, using a pry bar between the wishbone and the chassis and heave the hub clear. (Thats the difficult bit).
With the hub waving about, its possible to pull the driveshaft out of the hub, but it gets a bit tight for space.
I'd recommend removing the driveshaft from the gearbox for this, so put a bowl below the diff/driveshaft outlet. Pull the shaft clear, and to the bench we go.
Remove the boot clip and wipe the black grease away. The CV should then pop off the end of the driveshaft with a sharp tap. The new CV should come with a new boot, clips and grease so replace in the reverse order.
Now...some people would like to do this with the driveshaft still connected to the gearbox - fair enough. Also compare the price of an exchange shaft complete, if you don't fancy splitting the old one.
Remember to top up the gearbox oil later! You can generally re use the old drive shaft nut if you want - if there isn't too much damage where its been peened into place.
John :)

Going to give the CV joint a good dose of looking over this week.

I have been looking at a YouTube video of separating the balljoint and would like to know if the procedure is as easy as the video makes out and doesn't cause damage.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RZ-M--2uGE4&NR=1

It definitely looks like an old hand's trick of the trade, but can a jobber do the same without making a mess of things?
Thanks,

PM

Sponsored Links
From what I could see, this was the top ball joint being extracted - not the same in your case.
The bottom ball joint stub, that fits into the hub, isn't tapered. The bolt that passes through acts as a cotter pin. Remove the nut and tap the bolt through. Use plenty of WD40.
Then, using a long pinch bar (I use a 4' one), lever the wishbone down (one end under the protected chassis) so hopefully the ball joint stub and the hub will part.
If you have trouble, open the slot that the nut and bolt have squeezed together with a cold chisel, bounce on the pry bar and eventually the ball joint will separate.
Much easier if you have a helper - even just for moral support!

Hi All,
Despite my attempts to buy a CV joint or full shaft for the Picasso, Im not having much luck.
The reason being; There a several options, depending on the amount of teeth on the spline. Driveshaftstore.co.uk seem to be the most helpful as it was they who pointed out the difference of the several driveshafts for the Picasso. Other Motor Factors said they had one ready and told me the price. If I buy the wrong one, I'm up the creek.

Why I have come back to this site for help is: How can I identify the manufacturer's part number for a specific model. I know I can sort the spline count out by removing the shaft, but I would sooner have the replacement part ready, rather than strip down and then travel to the shop.
Thanks for any info.
PM

Even with full VIN numbers and reg numbers, there's no guarantee that your correct part can be identified every time.
So, as you've realised, its best to take the original driveshaft with you so you can match it up on the spot. These things are exchange anyway, so it could save you a return trip!
Motor factors will exchange the part if its the wrong one...or they do up here, anyway.
Be lucky

If it's the o/s shaft you're taking out you'll also have the intermediate bearing to deal with. Here's a piccy that might help.

Picassosuspension.jpg

The cotter bolt that holds the bottom balljoint in is No71. Then you'll need lots of leverage to get the bottom ball free. Definately a two man job.

Excellent advice above, the only thing I can think to add if not already mentioned, is to give yourself plenty of time to complete the job. Steady and slow is the best policy.

And after all, your daughter always has your car to fall back on!

Hi All,
I have to re-open this thread after many months of stagnation! I have hit on another snag that Citroen seems to leave for the unwary and ignorant amateur car-fixer or in my case 'meddler'.
The Problem: I need to change the Rear N/S indicator light because it's got a big chip in it. I've partly removed the fascia and covering from inside the boot to reveal the lamp but I can only see one large nut that has an earth wire fixed to it. Are there other fixings?
Thanks for all help.
PM

Sponsored Links
Back