relay

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
is there such thing as a 240v 45amp relay and where could i buy the same?

Sponsored Links
Any good wholesaler will be able to get you one, if not on the shelf.
Or try Rswww.com

Look/ask for contactor

val30 said:
is there such thing as a 240v 45amp relay and where could i buy the same?

yesbut it goes by another name, and can be some what noisey, as above what do you want it for?

Sponsored Links
yes good isnt it, even worse (or better depnding on your POV) when mounted in a loft :LOL:

I love the awesome power of flicking a puny 6 amp switch, and having about 5kw of fluorescent lighting flicker on :D

And mounting contactors on a big wooden board - cant beat the sound :LOL:

When do you fit contactors in lofts breezer? :eek:

Best I ever did was we decommisioned an old 2000A 4 pole oil filled contactor. It also dropped out 4no. 500A 4 pole oil filled contactors at the same time.

That made a proper clunk. :LOL:

I wish I had my camera with me.

I still get a buzz listening to nice big scroll fan or compressor star-delta starting. It must be the anticipation waiting for the change over

Inverters are great but they lack that feed back :LOL:

Says you, still posting on a DIY forum at quarter to one in the morning :LOL:

Oh, wait :oops:

ELZ4742 said:
you guys need to get out a bit more

As Swiss Tony would say, "manually starting a star delta fan is like making love to a beautiful woman"

After you've made sure she's free running it's time to get her going. As soon as you grab the lever and pull it down you can hear her moan with pleasure. The moan soon turns into a purr. Once she's purring you flip it up and lock it into place and then she sings. If you miss time the purring........ :oops: :cry:

You're right, I should get out more :LOL:

Pensdown said:
ELZ4742 said:
you guys need to get out a bit more

As Swiss Tony would say, "manually starting a star delta fan is like making love to a beautiful woman"

After you've made sure she's free running it's time to get her going. As soon as you grab the lever and pull it down you can hear her moan with pleasure. The moan soon turns into a purr. Once she's purring you flip it up and lock it into place and then she sings. If you miss time the purring........

You're right, I should get out more :LOL:

rotfl.gif

Quick question: Why do comrpessors and certain motors only have one speed? By this i mean they start at that speed - theres no "speeding up" or "slowing down" period, it just starts at full speed. Surely the machines would last longer if they had a speed up and slow down - all that sudden starting and stopping cant be good for them!

Crafty said:
Quick question: Why do comrpessors and certain motors only have one speed? By this i mean they start at that speed - theres no "speeding up" or "slowing down" period, it just starts at full speed. Surely the machines would last longer if they had a speed up and slow down - all that sudden starting and stopping cant be good for them!

Its all a question of cost really.I have fitted a soft starter to a belt driven gas booster pump due to the fact that the belts were getting torn off with all that torque immediately, that was a necessity.Soft starters generally will not provide full torque at lower speed but are cheaper (usually) than inverters. Inverters will provide full torque over the full range of speeds up to base speed but are relatively expensive.
So you are stuck with the good old D.O.L starter or star delta for larger motors/motors on weak supplies.

Sarah

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back