Relays, mains fail, delay.

In what sense is it unhelpful?
Do you need me to explain why a solution using transistors would be superior?
As for cocky, I've no idea what you're talking about.
We are no longer looking for a high tech solution, so we know what transistors are hexfets, fets, mosfets, bipolar, germanium, cmos, and what not, these are all useless because they will need backup power, so you need to come up with a more orthodox solution. (lol)

And as for my silliest time delay circuit, I cannot still post as photobucket is having a tantrum, photobucket is a high tech organisation and has failed me today.

Sponsored Links
can you still get pneumatic delayed contractors? Not seen one for a while.
Sensible idea. Telemecinique still do them.

This thread started with a simple request for off the shelf parts and turns into an electronics project. I am an electrician.

The initial system I did works well. It wasn't the cheapest, using a couple electronic 12v delay timers and some relays. 4 input SMS dialler, all fed from a 12v battery backed PSU.

I took some fused feed from the CU just after the mains switch, and two from each RCD (using din rail mounted HRC carriers as opposed to MCBs).
A combination of relays and delays provided 4 SMS texts after a suitable delay on both failure and restore.
"mains power failed"
"mains power restored"
"RCD tripped"
"RCD restored"

As I bumped this thread and people started coming up with strange ideas, so I thought why not have a go myself and make it even stranger:

MAINS%20FAIL%20TIMER_zps0jkmz3tj.png

Last edited:
I did not show power source for text messager, I am assuming it has a 10year Lithium battery and it will only use power during sending text messages and after sending a message it goes into standby mode (sleep) drawing less than a micro amp. If not you could wire a small charger and use rechargeable NiMh batteries similar to mobile phones.

Does not use electronics, uses basic plumbing gadgets, readily available, one can use a couple of float switches in the sump where the pump only runs if water level reaches a certain height, and stays on until the second float switch drops down switching off pump. saving on power.
And no excuses accepted for debris or dirt in the water causing any blockage, we can use Magnaflow filter. Let us use our full CH potential.

Sponsored Links
This thread started with a simple request for off the shelf parts and turns into an electronics project. I am an electrician.
Indeed, and I think that most of us understood your request and the fact that you are an electrician.

I suppose a lot depends on what you regard as ‘off-the-shelf’ parts (capacitors and diodes are no less available ‘off the shelf’ than are delay timers or relays). However, I accept that your knowledge/experience of electronics may be limited, and also that you may be thinking about ‘maintainability’.
The initial system I did works well. It wasn't the cheapest, using a couple electronic 12v delay timers and some relays. 4 input SMS dialler, all fed from a 12v battery backed PSU. .... I took some fused feed from the CU just after the mains switch, and two from each RCD (using din rail mounted HRC carriers as opposed to MCBs). ... A combination of relays and delays provided 4 SMS texts after a suitable delay on both failure and restore.
I’m pleased to hear that you have a solution which satisfies your requirements.

I think that (the ‘silly’ bits aside, and given that you had asked if anyone could think of “an obviously easy method” to achieve what you wanted), most of us have been trying to suggest that a very small amount of very simple ‘electronics’ might enable you to create a much simpler (and probably much cheaper) method than that which you currently have.

The degree of simplicity (or otherwise) of that electronics really depends upon the requirements and characteristics of the inputs to your SMS dialler - could you possibly identify it and/or give a link?

Kind Regards, John

Indeed, and I think that most of us understood your request and the fact that you are an electrician.

I suppose a lot depends on what you regard as ‘off-the-shelf’ parts (capacitors and diodes are no less available ‘off the shelf’ than are delay timers or relays). However, I accept that your knowledge/experience of electronics may be limited, and also that you may be thinking about ‘maintainability’.
I’m pleased to hear that you have a solution which satisfies your requirements.

I think that (the ‘silly’ bits aside, and given that you had asked if anyone could think of “an obviously easy method” to achieve what you wanted), most of us have been trying to suggest that a very small amount of very simple ‘electronics’ might enable you to create a much simpler (and probably much cheaper) method than that which you currently have.

The degree of simplicity (or otherwise) of that electronics really depends upon the requirements and characteristics of the inputs to your SMS dialler - could you possibly identify it and/or give a link?

Kind Regards, John
Hence the reason I came to offer genuine help in devising a small circuit using a few CMOS gates to create logic and time delays and a couple of miniature 12v relays or even just transistors to trigger Text messager, ( relays are prefered as they provide complete isolation) and all mounted on a small PCB, with a PCB mounted 6VA transformer and possibly a small rechargeable battery pack and main fail detection logic. All housed in a suitable ABS box. Since other people started coming up with weird ideas, I had to better it , so yes I like joining in the fun, fun it is.

Last edited:
Hence the reason I came to offer genuine help in devising a small circuit using a few CMOS gates to create logic and time delays and a couple of miniature 12v relays or even just transistors to trigger Text messager ...
Indeed - and, as I just wrote, I think that most of us were trying to suggest that such 'electronic' solutions might be the simplest approach. However, as I also said, one has to consdier that Lectrician may not be comfortable with electronics and, perhaps more so, may have concerns about maintainability.

As regards that last point, whenever I include 'electronic' bits in my electrical installation (and I have accumulated many over the years!), not only do I fully document them, but I also nearly also construct, and test, a 'spare'. However, I have to say that I would be reluctant to use anything which didn't not consist of 'standard electrical parts' anywhere other than in my own home.
Since other people started coming up with weird ideas, I had to better it , so yes fun it is.
Sure, and there's nothing wrong in having a bit of fun - particularly on a Friday/Saturday :)

Kind Regards, John

Reminds me of a mercury capsule room thermostat used in to control warm air heating made by Honeywell back in early 60s or 70s. I still has it in one house i rent in Harlow where WAU has not been taken out but a wet radiator system has been installed with a newer type RT.

I have a 5? stage mercury thermostat that was once connected to an old hot water control system, sadly its broken. :c

wow! I bought one from Ebay 5 years ago, a nice Grundig, with equaliser and UHF band what we now call FM, with 3 short wave bands. I wanted to experience the distinctive smell of valves heating up and the surrounding veneer giving out that unforgettable moments when I was about 12, still remember peeking into those radios from the rear cover made of hardboard, looking at those tiny glowing dots, and the smell of them was so aromatic! imagine today's standards would condemn those radios for fire risk!

Mind you high power valve amplifiers are now coming back.

They work well when restored, still safer than half the stuff that comes from china. Not really a fire risk, very hot components will be surrounded by asbestos, the 'plastic' cabinets are mostly bakelite which won't burn and the wood cabinets are spacious enough that it would be difficult for them to reach a temperature high enough to ignite. Incredibly inefficient use of electricity though!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back