Relcaimed flooring, good idea ? .....

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
....or a shortcut to pain,tears and financial ruin ?

we have 36m2 to do, a lounge/dining room on a victorian semi thats had the knock through. The floor is poured concrete with a bitumen layer over the top. As suggested in other threads i was going to lay it floating glueing the T&G.

I've seen a place in Kent doing french oak for £31 but have also found a place doing reclaimed stuff that sells it sanded and T&G'ed

would like to hear from anyone whos tried to lay reclaimed flooring and come up against problems .

thanks in advance

Sponsored Links
You might have a few problems with warped boards, but easily overcome. Make sure you properly acclimatise the wood in the room.

A far nastier problem is recalimed boards that were not originally actaully used as floorboards.

Unless the wood has had years of compression by walking & furniture, it will be very prone to flaking & gradually the fibres tease apart giving you an endless supply of splinters. No amount of diamond hard varnish will stop that.

I personally would never lay a reclaimed wooden floor floating as there are too many unknowns as to the conditioning of the wood. You could lay it, have it looking fine and then with a change of season and moisture content find it moves all over the place. I would always either stick it down with a good adhesive or nail it.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back