Relocating my boiler - few questions

Thaks for your replies everyone - I've seen enough to convince me why I need corgi invlolved.

I've no idea of what it would cost and I'm on a very tight budget, hence me wanting to do the work myself.

Can any of you corgi people advise me of what amount of prep work such as boring the large flu hole in the wall, making the hole for the pipe extensions, drilling the mounting holes for the boiler, draining the system etc, etc I could do in advance to make the job as easy, quick and cheap as possible?

I've no idea what it would cost, and I know there is a forum rule about quoting for jobs etc, but it would be handy to know if this type of job is £300 or £1000?

Thanks everyone

Sponsored Links
[

Gawd I hope we arent starting this debate again.

but it IS illegal if you canot prove your competency to undertake such work.

how do you prove competency?

by attending the ACS course for 1 Gas Pipework CCN1 and 2 CEN1 for heating which includes installation of Flues!

without both of these ACS modules you are liable to prosecution when something goes wrong

as previously pointed out the likelyhood of getting the flue out undamaged are slim and the flue is obsolete AFAIK

As per my previous reply (whether I use my current one or not) will I be allowed to do 'most' of the work myself - such as boring the flu hole, re-routing the electrics and water pipes - all ready to be connected by Mr Corgi once he's asembled the fle and bolted the thing to the wall?

yes so long as you agree with your corgi what each of you will do
as an example:

i come along disconnect gas / electric and make safe for you

you remove boiler, pipes etc move boiler

i come back put the flue into place and hang boiler having inspected both

you finish off pipes cementing in flue terminal

i reconnect gas/ electrics and test

job done - days work in total
for me ££££'s in my hand, BC paperwork in yours

Sponsored Links
What flue are you going to use exactly? If you are going to put the boiler on the other side of the wall in the garage you are going to need a revised fluing arrangement. have you thought about this? Where are you going to get the new elbow and flue extension from? Or are you expecting the installer to have one 'in his van'?
You are wasting your time trying to move this boiler. get a new one or live with as it is. Go your own way if you must. Advice duly given.

What BC paperwork would you issue Kevin?

Would you notify CORGI ?

Tony

What flue are you going to use exactly? If you are going to put the boiler on the other side of the wall in the garage you are going to need a revised fluing arrangement. have you thought about this? Where are you going to get the new elbow and flue extension from? Or are you expecting the installer to have one 'in his van'?
You are wasting your time trying to move this boiler. get a new one or live with as it is. Go your own way if you must. Advice duly given.

I take on board what you say about re-using the current boiler - I didn't realise that moving them caused them to be likely to fail?

Re the flu, I was intending to carefully chip away the mortar and remove the the current flu, bore another identical to the one currently used but in the new location and go from there. There are no windows etc or other obsticals to interfere with the regulations as far as I'm aware - if anything, moving it further away from my kitchen window can only be a good thing, yes?

Purely from a knowledge point of view - why do they become more likely to fail when they are drained, lifted off a wall, mounted to another wall and re connected?

As far as a new boiler is concerned, any recomendations for something quality that isn't too dear (not a combi).

it is NOT illegal to work on gas without corgi reg for nowt

However, should you ever sell the house, then you will presumably want to make a profit, part of which will come from the work you are currently undertaking. Therefore, it will not be "for nowt".

To prove your competency, you need to fulfill a lot of criteria - including training, qualifications, and experience under the supervision of a corgi registered professional.

Get a gas pro in for peace of mind, for heavens sake.

I have just resat and passed all my ACS and my Parts L and P and if i remember correctly is it now not illegal for a non corgi registered engineer to remove any Boiler Casing.
Again i may of misenterpreted what i was told but i beleive this is the case which would then mean that this guy would not be able to move it off the wall even if it was capped first by a Corgi engineer.
I also thought it was illegal for a non regestered person to hang a boiler??

it is NOT illegal to work on gas without corgi reg for nowt

However, should you ever sell the house, then you will presumably want to make a profit, part of which will come from the work you are currently undertaking. Therefore, it will not be "for nowt".

To prove your competency, you need to fulfill a lot of criteria - including training, qualifications, and experience under the supervision of a corgi registered professional.

Get a gas pro in for peace of mind, for heavens sake.

Fair enough, no problems. Any clue on typical costs?

Purely from a knowledge point of view - why do they become more likely to fail when they are drained, lifted off a wall, mounted to another wall and re connected?

Nobody suggested that they did!

last triumph
it may be a good idea to contact say corgi themselves and get a difinitive answer on this problem or a local college who run courses on gas training
bob

Nobody suggested that they did!

From page one....

"also that old solo prollie wont take kindly to be moved and will probably let you down onc you have moved it"

sturmey your a joker :LOL: wot you have said about this subject proves that you know nothing about competency or even gas safety :evil: [/quote]

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back