Relocation of gas meter

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have to relocate the gas meter as I am hoping to extend my house and knock down the existing (badly thrown together) conservatory where the meter is currently located. The new extension will become a kitchen. I have asked for the meter to be relocated on the adjacent outside wall at a right angle to its current position.

A representative from Scotia came and surveyed the site, he said that it was currently illegal as the meter is mounted on a plastic wall mount(!) the quote I then received this morning is for £615. Does this seem a fair price? I had been warned that it may be around the £400 figure and just want to be sure that this is reasonable before I sign the forms and send the payment.

Any advice gratefully received! :)

Sponsored Links
It all depends on what is involved. It might be !

The supplier's price will only include moving the meter.

You will be responsible for connecting the internal pipework to the new meter. We usually charge about £215 for that in London.

Tony

Thanks, for the reply, I've not been given a breakdown in terms of the quote so I should ask for that first. The fact that the meter is illegally mounted hardly surprises me as it is another blunder to add to the catalogue of faults that are in this house which I bought last year, seemingly the previous owner carried out most of the work himself! :rolleyes:

You do not have to use Scotia to move a meter.
As long as you are not moving the ECV and fit a secondry ECV at the meter point and CLEARLY LABEL the position of the original ECV and leave it accesable then it can be done by a CORGI with MET1.
Not many people know that...

Sponsored Links
Hopefully this quote will include a new service from the main to the new meter position. It's about right on price I would think.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back