remoting boiler reset button

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi Guy's

One of our customers has asked if it's possible to remote the reset button on a Baxi Bahama (?) combi

Currently every friday they have a fire alarm test and if the boilers firing at that moment it locks out. To access the boiler is difficult as it's in a loft space above an occupied flat

Thanks for any advice etc

Cheers

Richard

Sponsored Links
We assume it's a gas valve being de-energised during the fire test and the boiler sensing the lack of gas. As I say whilst the test is every Friday it only locks out every few weeks which is why we feel it's when the boiler is firing coincides with the test

Cheers

Richard

So what they want to do is install some sort of wire setup so they can reset the boiler every Friday? This got to be some sort of government joke. Come on, give us the punchline.

says one civic to the other: i got real problems waking up in time.
yes, says his colleage, I know what you mean. I come home late at least three times a week.

Sponsored Links
All the other boilers have an automatic reset. This is the only one which suffers this every Friday.

Anyway I have a suitable engineer who can solve this, so a big thanks for those who helped with their input

Cheers

Richard

We assume it's a gas valve being de-energised during the fire test and the boiler sensing the lack of gas. As I say whilst the test is every Friday it only locks out every few weeks which is why we feel it's when the boiler is firing coincides with the test

Cheers

Richard

Can you explain how the gas valve can become de-energised during the fire test?

Tony

Cheers

Richard

Can you explain how the gas valve can become de-energised during the fire test?

Tony

From my understanding there is an inline gas valve before the boiler. On activation of the fire alarm it sends a signal to all the gas valves in the building to shut.
If this particular burner is firing at that time it senses a lack of gas via the thermocouple (I'm assuming) and shuts the boiler down. Checking the fault log this boiler only ever trips on a Friday but not every friday because it's not always firing at that particular moment...(although winter trips are more regular obviously....)

This is the only domestic boiler on the site and all the other boilers and hot air blowers seem to handle this weekly test ok. All boilers etc have been fully maintained since installation 2000 but this has been on-going ever since day one.

The newish maintenance manager just wants to remote the reset in a cupboard so his guy's can check it daily on their rounds.. I have seen the boiler and access is a real p.i.t.a ( I'm shocked they allowed it there up there first place..)

Cheers

Richard

I would be more inclined to power the boiler from the slam shut gas valve in the boiler's gas supply line!

Tony

I would be more inclined to power the boiler from the slam shut gas valve in the boiler's gas supply line!
In what way does that help the OP with his question?

Because it tackles the real problem of the boiler locking out!

Tony

As there is no way of getting past the fire test without doing something, the whole idea of getting a remote reset button installed is, apart from illegal, downright ridiculous.
If you need to push a button, you may as well push the “heating of for a while” button.
This sort of nonsense can only be dreamed up by someone who spends his life behind a desk fantasising about how others should do their job. Hence my suspicion of a “manager” or planner employed by council, nhs or the likes.

Hi Guy's

One of our customers has asked if it's possible to remote the reset button on a Baxi Bahama (?) combi

Currently every friday they have a fire alarm test and if the boilers firing at that moment it locks out. To access the boiler is difficult as it's in a loft space above an occupied flat

Thanks for any advice etc

Cheers

Richard

Assuming the boiler has an accessible timer of some description and that its hot water draw off points are not spread through out a large building, may I suggest adjusting the Central Heating times to be off at the time of the fire alarm test.
Then all that remains is to stop people using the hot taps supplied by this appliance at the time off the alarm test.

Tim (a, keep it simple, emoticon)

isn't that what i said?

No not really. You seemed to want to make a big issue out of a fairly simple request. Going off about NHS government etc as if that was relevent.

The only possibly useful contribution was "it's illegal" Now no one else has picked up on that but that doesn't mean you're right or wrong? Maybe you're the most qualified here and can speak of such things with total authority..

However if it is true then I shall recommend a remote timeclock to turn off the boiler for an hr or so on a Friday. However if he replies that the test could be carried out any time Friday(not usual in big organisations) that won't work either..

Cheers

Richard

Hi Guy's

No.

You cannot legally re-locate the reset button to a remote location.

It is a manual re-set, a safety device and is to be re-set by a competent person when they have attended to ensure that it is safe to do so. Altering the boiler's safety devices so that it can be re-set by a non-competent person, from elsewhere, is asking for a liability case.

Closing a gas solenoid valve can cause a loss of gas pressure and require purging and re-testing. You could fit a electronic control valve with automatic gas proving.

Article here, you'll have to read it;

http://www.bsjonline.co.uk/story.asp?storyType=162&sectioncode=611&storyCode=3101480

The boilers should remain off until reset and not restart when the fire-alarm is cleared. I'd feel obliged to check the boilers that do re-set themselves. Has some fool previously altered their control wiring?

Why not just turn off the boilers before the FA test?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back